Uh-Oh- Water pump installation off to a shaky start?

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fellas,

I have started the water pump installation and my first step was to drain the lower unit. I un-did the lower screw and very little came out so I unscrewed the upper screw and still not much coming out. I haven't ever done this before but... I would think a little more than just that should be coming out... am I wrong?

Its a 1986 70hp Evinrude. I dont know much about the engine besides that the guy fired it up for about a second or two when I bought it. I dont know the background so this is one of the things I am just replacing off the get go. I also noticed that the 4 bolts you undo under the lower unit are different. 3 are the same type and 1 bolt is different then the others?

Tell me it isn't so :(

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Uh-Oh- Water pump installation off to a shaky start?

Oh yah and here is the picture...

draining.jpg

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Make darn sure to get a new seal for the screw too.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DARNIT EZEKE!

Im so pissed lol. You know what? I watched others do this task and I swore up and down I wouldn't pull the wrong screw and I totally missed it! Slap me stupid and call me Sally!

I have been working on the 4 main bolts and can only get one to budge! The other 3 are so darn firm... 1 of them is even stripping itself :( Any ideas? I sprayed some WD40, though I dont think thats gonna help to much.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The carpenters creed is "measure twice - cut once". The mechanics creed is "look, look again, think about what you are about to do, and does it make sense". If you stop and think about the wrong screw, how would you expect lubricant that fills the entire lower unit to fully drain from a hole that high up? I don't mean to be critical as I know you are learning. But wouldn't you expect a drain plug to be in the lowest spot on the unit? If you don't have a service manual I suggest you halt all work until you obtain one.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the manual and all that good stuff. Its just one of them days :( Maybe I should halt work until its not one of them days lol. I am actually trying to find a mobile mechanic in the area so I can watch them do it :) We will see.

I almost did the exact same thing. Took a deep breath and look more underneath it, then found it. It is ok, we all learn. Here it is, although I bet you have figured this out by now.

lowerunit.jpg

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yah thanks! I got it all drained out now :) There was quite a bit more :) Now im just having a problem getting the bolts off the lower end.

Its hard to fit a socket in there so I have been using a wrench. I got 3 out of the 4 big bolts loosened. I just got 1 that is being a real big pain in the butt. I think once I get the bolts done it will be all cake work? Well I hope anyways :) Just this one bolt is really putting a number on me! Any ideas besides heat and wd40? lol

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was looking to have a mechanic do it but I dont think its necessary to pay $150 when I already have all the parts and a service manual! I mean I only payed $600 for the boat itself :)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

you might consider buying or borrowing a hand held propane torch,if the 3 bolts came out,its probable a LITTLE heat will help on the last one.the hand helds wont put so much heat that you will melt down.Idea is to work the bolt back and forth bitting a bit more each time.Dont forget the other bolts mentioned by the trim tab and the shift shaft

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I noticed that ezeke said to drill the holes out. Is this a drill & tap process?

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should I be putting the heat on the bolt head itself or somewhere else? Im confused at that process of heating them. :( Where can one of these torch things be bought from? I used to have one somewhere but forgot where I bought it. I know the propane canisters you can get at Walmart.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Ezeke is talking about the holes that the bolts go through in the lower unit, not the threads that they go into in the housing...Sometimes the corrosion can lock them into the holes if let go long enough...

Walmart will have the torch heads in the hardware section. Any hardware store will have them too. Heat the area around the bolt first. It will allow the metal around the bolt to expand slightly and hopefully you can loosen it up. Use caution and keep the flame moving. Soft metal and high heat don't mix too well...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited: