UFP Dexter Trailer Buddy Electric Reversing Solenoid

IFlyAZ

Cadet
The Extreme brand trailer I currently have is the first UFP trailer (out of numerous Dimco 10) previous trailers that has a reversing solenoid. Darn thing wont backup without the lights connected. Sort of a pain when simply moving around on the property or at the boat shop. (Shop uses a fork truck moving dozens of trailers throughout the day). Can the solenoid be simply disconnected?

IFlyAZ

Cadet
No cannot disconnect the solenoid, the solenoid needs to be turned ON to shut off fluid. You could install a manual brake line shut off valve.
https://www.amazon.com/brake-shut-off-valve/s?k=brake+shut+off+valve

Place the valve in line, before or after the valve. Once trailer is disconnected turn valve and brakes will not work. Just don't forget the open valve before using again
I'm an idiot... Just found a THD magnetic surge break lockout key. Set of two (one for each side). $20 at Amazon. Never seen these before, boat shop uses a C clamp. Didn't like the idea of potentially bending the frame in on the surge mechanism with a clamp.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
FYI. You only need the lockout on one side. My UFP came with lockout tool attached with a small cable, without a magnet.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The Extreme brand trailer I currently have is the first UFP trailer (out of numerous Dimco 10) previous trailers that has a reversing solenoid. Darn thing wont backup without the lights connected. Sort of a pain when simply moving around on the property or at the boat shop. (Shop uses a fork truck moving dozens of trailers throughout the day). Can the solenoid be simply disconnected?
My coupler of different manufacture has a spot where you can put a pin in the side to lock out the brake feature. I use the pin that locks the lever for the ball. It simply keeps the coupler from compressing and applying the master cylinder. Would be surprised if yours doesn't have some way to do this.