U Joint Replacement Quality (Made in China)

CuddyLicious

Cadet
I’m wondering if anybody has any experience they can share with Meyle replacement u joints for Volvo Penta DP-SM 8.1L. I’m in the middle of replacing the u joints and would rather not buy the entire drive shaft as VP recommends. I have the newer style external clipped and factory balanced drive shaft. I bought what I thought were quality Meyle u joints but it turns out even though they are a German company, the box was stamped with “Made in China.” I did exhaustive internet searches including the I Boat forums and concluded that the Meyle replacement u joints would be a suitable replacement. But much to my chagrin I feel I received an inferior product. They are pressed in and ready to go but I’m having 2nd thoughts about this “Made in China” thing. I’m considering pulling them out and going with Precision 344 (Made in USA) replacements. Thoughts or comments with experience would be appreciated. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
In many cases China can be cheap knock offs, but not in all cases. If China made them to Meyle specs then IMO there good. I would probably use them

CuddyLicious

Cadet
Those were my initial thoughts which is why I assembled the driveshaft. Meyle makes all sorts of replacement parts for BMW, Mercedes Benz, VW etc so it would lead you to believe they are of the highest quality.
From the Meyle website.....
“Engineered and Qualiy approved by our Engineers”
We would like to emphasise that, even if we don’t manufacture all the parts at our own production facilities, all our expertise and the engineering knowledge that comes from the manufacturing and production process at our own plants are applied to the specifications for further MEYLE parts. These are then produced for us by renowned development partners and thus live up to our high standards as well as those of original equipment suppliers.

So who knows? I was ready to toss them in the trash when I realized they were made in China so that’s why I’m asking if anybody has run these particular u joints in this application with success.
Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If the company you bought them from has a good reputation I would not be particularly concerned. For all we know if you bought Volvo OE it could be made in China in the same factory!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Not all Chinese products are crap, after all
General Motors thinks they're good enough to make
the Cadillac cars :(
Then there are the HUNDREDS of products that are
CRAP!!!
Bought a new boat in 1988 the trailer was made in the US
the components were made here.
The springs lasted almost 24 years before they died from
the salt water they were used in.
I bought 4 new springs that were made for Continental
Trailers. They lasted 2 1/2 years before the salt water
killed them. China product.
The Chinese produce an initially good product then they
start cutting corners and we the American consumer suffer.

CuddyLicious

Cadet
Not all Chinese products are crap, after all
General Motors thinks they're good enough to make
the Cadillac cars :(
Then there are the HUNDREDS of products that are
CRAP!!!
Bought a new boat in 1988 the trailer was made in the US
the components were made here.
The springs lasted almost 24 years before they died from
the salt water they were used in.
I bought 4 new springs that were made for Continental
Trailers. They lasted 2 1/2 years before the salt water
killed them. China product.
The Chinese produce an initially good product then they
start cutting corners and we the American consumer suffer.
Sadly I agree. My final decision was to scrap the driveline, bite the bullet and purchase a new OEM complete driveline kit. There's too much at stake to go "cheap" with this particular component. The immense stresses put on those crosses from the 8.1L hooked up to duo props pushing 6000lbs across the water justifies the expense. It's not worth it trying to save a few hundred bucks.