u Joint assembly.

joita

Cadet
I have a 2003 bravo 3 out drive that needed a new u joint assembly. I am having a hard time re installing it. It goes in up to the retaining nut and stops. I used some force to get it to where it is , but can not get it to go in all the way. Any tips to get it in all the way?

Attachments

• photo329754.jpg
    photo329754.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • photo329755.jpg
    photo329755.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo329756.jpg
    photo329756.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
What is your drive serial number and what part number did you buy?

harringtondav

Commander
^^^. Lay out your old parts alongside the new parts to be sure the parts, or entire drive shaft assembly are the same length. The only thing that I an think of is your gear yoke is too long. I don't know the Bravo, but the Alpha assembly has very little space between the locking ring and the gear yoke uni. Your pics show much more space.

Pop the top cover to see if the gears are in full mesh. If so, I'd suspect you have the wrong yoke. If the gears are apart, you may have binding elsewhere. I always have to hold my mouth just right to get the driveshaft assembly started and slid home in the housing. There is very little clearance and any misalignment will bind things up.

Edit. ps. I assume you reinstalled the bearings on your new assembly (?). If so did you follow the procedure for setting bearing preload? On the Alpha you need to be sure the two bearing races are lined up perfectly. I use a large auto scroll hose clamp per the manual to make sure. I'm guessing there may be .002-.003" clearance between the bore and the race's OD. Any mismatch between the races will eat this clearance up and cause binding.

Last edited:

joita

Cadet
OEM 864244A, Serial #)m111208. I spoke with the company and they said it is the right part.

alldodge

Staff member
You have a new drive shaft and used old gears not new gears correct?

To install remove the top and rear caps
Align timing marks

timing.jpg