Type of steering

supreme

Cadet
Hello all, I am not sure what type of steering is on my boat. It's a 75 Alumacraft 16' ft. The steering control at the helm has a 1/2" simi clear tube about 12" long coming out of the side of it. It looks like there is liquid in it of some type. The heavy breaded cable or tube going to the motor is blue and has, well to me it looks like a hydraulic tube cylinder, which pushes and pulls the motor. Is there liquid in the blue line or cable? I am looking to move the motor back so I may need to extend or replace that part of the steering.

Thanks for your help everyone!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Type of steering

Does it look like the picture below? If it does then it is a rotary steering and has a big push-pull cable that runs from the helm to the motor.

Attachments

• usa-safe-tqc-3.jpg
    usa-safe-tqc-3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0

supreme

Cadet

Yes it does thank you, so it is a cable. Are they replaceable on the older models? Or will I have to replace the whole thing?

Thank you again

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

If it were me, I would replace the whole thing. The whole system is about $150 if I remember right. If your cable is just stiff, you may be able to disassemble and lubricate the existing cable. Try a search of the forums. There have been other posts where people have done just that and have gotten their existing cables to work freely.