Two year rebuild with questions

General0

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1976 or 79 (depending on what paper work you look at!!)14.5 ft Allsport tri-hull that I have been working on for the last TWO years!!!??? There is a piece of what used to be the id tag on it that says it was made in Wisconsin. Any one ever run across one of these or ever heard of the company? I have only seen one other like this for sale on the internet and I can't find anything on the company. My problem is that I had to redo the one stringer, the transom, and floor. I went from the conventional and instead of taking the top off I cut the back top cap off on one side only and wedge the sandwitched 3/4 ply's in from one side. It worked fine and I know it is attached all the way to the bottom because all the old screw holes had epoxy seeping out of them down to where the drain plug is and there aren't any hollow sounds are coming from anywhere I have tapped on it. I sanded the pieces of the rear cap and the splashwell that I cut off at a grade so that when I glue them back on it will have more material to build up from where it was cut. I will post some pictures of it when I get a chance. Is this an OK method? The other issue is the floor did not go all the way to the sides of the gunwale's. I made a template of the floor before I cut it out and I was baffled that the floor did not contact the sides at all. There is about a 12 inch space of just the bottom of the boat that does not have floor board on it??? Again, I will take some pictures for examples. I know this is how it was designed because the floor at the front where the bow seats are is level with the floor and stringer. If I wanted to put a floor all the way across it would raise it about 3-4 inches in the front and cause a step to the bow area? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

crunch

Commander
Re: Two year rebuild with questions

Hello, I have a 1976 or 79 (depending on what paper work you look at!!)14.5 ft Allsport tri-hull that I have been working on for the last TWO years!!!"TYPE=PICT;ALT=???"

There is a piece of what used to be the id tag, on it that says it was made in Wisconsin. Any one ever run across one of these or ever heard of the company? I have only seen one other like this for sale on the internet and I can't find anything on the company.

My problem is that I had to redo the one stringer, the transom, and floor. I went from the conventional and instead of taking the top off I cut the back top cap off on one side only, and wedge the sandwitched 3/4 ply's in from one side. It worked fine and I know it is attached all the way to the bottom because all the old screw holes had epoxy seeping out of them down to where the drain plug is and there aren't any hollow sounds are coming from anywhere.

I have tapped on it. I sanded the pieces of the rear cap and the splashwell that I cut off at a grade so that when I glue them back on it will have more material to build up from where it was cut. I will post some pictures of it when I get a chance. Is this an OK method?

The other issue is the floor did not go all the way to the sides of the gunwale's. I made a template of the floor before I cut it out and I was baffled that the floor did not contact the sides at all. There is about a 12 inch space of just the bottom of the boat that does not have floor board on it"TYPE=PICT;ALT=???" Again, I will take some pictures for examples. I know this is how it was designed because the floor at the front where the bow seats are is level with the floor and stringer. If I wanted to put a floor all the way across it would raise it about 3-4 inches in the front and cause a step to the bow area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It is not uncommon, especially in smaller boats, to have a floor that does not go from side to side. I have seen a good amount of boats like this, they work fine. I would not try to make the floor go all the way across, that will just add weight.

There is nothing wrong with the way you did your transom, that is a perfectly acceptable way to get the job done.

General0

Cadet

Great!! I was a little worried that I was repeating someone elses crappy rebuild!!

So.... custombycrunch didn't like my run-ons:love:???

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm is the way to use your hull identicication number to find uot who made the boat. Usually the last two numbers in the hull are the year.

I agree w/Jason and it was probably built that way.

crunch

Commander

General0 said:
Great!! I was a little worried that I was repeating someone elses crappy rebuild!!

So.... custombycrunch didn't like my run-ons:love:???

Sorry guy, I just wanted to read it so I edited it...

I to have a tri-hull that I think has floor, maybe stringer, and floatation issues so I had an interest.

Paragraphs, punctuation... just a coma occasionally helps 8)

General0

Cadet

Haha, yeah I guess it would be hard to read!!!

Did yours actually have flotation because mine didn't? I purchased some pink 2" home insulation foam to use in mine due to the floor being only 8 inches high at it's deepest point and I figured if it didn't have any in the floor in the first place so what ever I add will be over kill anyway!

crunch

Commander

I haven't had the chance to get under the floor yet. It has 2 soft spots in the floor, a couple leaks in the keel, and a crack in the port side just above the water line.

Right now I'm in the process of rebuilding the carbs, should have them installed tonight. Maybe able to cut into the floor this weekend.

My project... http://www.shareaproject.com/projectThumbs.php?p=276