Two wires into one connector?

UWDiver

Seaman Apprentice
If I have two, 14 gauge wires and I need to put into one ring connector, do I use a 14-16 or a 12-10? I'm connecting all my switch and gauge grounds and am confused.
Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Two wires into one connector?

You use the terminal into which the two wires will fit. Use too large a terminal and the crimp will not be correct. Use a terminal that's too small and you won't get the wires into the terminal.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Unless there's a good reason they have to be in a common connector, why not put each in a 14-16 connector and stack them on the post/ lug.
Mike

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree,always use the correct size terminal for the wire you are using.

UWDiver

Seaman Apprentice

You use the terminal into which the two wires will fit. Use too large a terminal and the crimp will not be correct. Use a terminal that's too small and you won't get the wires into the terminal.

That makes sense! Thanks!
Do you buy into the thought that you have to use the $60 crimpers to get a good crimp? I'm using heat shrink connectors on everything.

Unless there's a good reason they have to be in a common connector, why not put each in a 14-16 connector and stack them on the post/ lug.
Mike

I don't like the idea of using two wires into one connector but what choice do i have when ring connectors aren't an option? You can't stack connectors onto Contura switches.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I don't like the idea of using two wires into one connector but what choice do i have when ring connectors aren't an option? You can't stack connectors onto Contura switches.
You can if you use something like this
eagleday_2084_66697182

I actually don't see the problem of two wires into one connector.

or use these

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-pcs-Yellow-1...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item58806fc350

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree that it is best to use the "one wire, one terminal" approach but it also depends a bit on what the wire routing is, what they connect to and host of other considerations. For example, if the wires come two different components you typically would not want to pair them on a single terminal since that means either component cannot be removed without cutting and re-crimping both wires. If the wires can be removed at the other end (at the device being removed) then there is not real issue with pairing them and it become one less point failure. In addition, when wiring gauges for example, all of them have a hot and a ground wire. Rather than run all the grounds from each gauge to the ground bus at the fuse panel, simply jumper from gauge to the next and run only one ground to the panel. Saves wire and accomplishes the same thing as individual grounds plus it makes the wiring much neater.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can do this. Strip the wire and solder them together, shrink wrap and then a layer of 33 to finish the job. If you want a lasting crimp and a tool that will last a lifetime (unless you use it as a hammer) then get a T&B or Klein Sta-kon tool.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

That makes sense! Thanks!
Do you buy into the thought that you have to use the $60 crimpers to get a good crimp? I'm using heat shrink connectors on everything.

I dont think you need to spend 60 on a set of crimpers, but I would go down to HD or Lowes and find a decent set of crimpers. Forget the crappy sheet metal ones and look for something like these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=30891-72068-KP1022D&lpage=none it makes a huge difference when installing crimped fittings. The shrink tube will keep the weather out, but it will not fix a bad crip job.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funk has found you a good set of crimpers. They look identical to my T&B's and at least 1/2 the price. Greenlee makes good stuff. Read Silvertips post. That's how I would do it. Get you a pack of wire numbers and number each wire on both ends with the same number and make you a drawing of what number goes to what gauge. It will make it easier to trouble shoot if you need to later. When you finish get a pack of wire ties and tie wrap your wiring and make it neat. Put that drawing up with all your other boat documents so you can always go back to it if need be.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

...In addition, when wiring gauges for example, all of them have a hot and a ground wire. Rather than run all the grounds from each gauge to the ground bus at the fuse panel, simply jumper from gauge to the next and run only one ground to the panel. Saves wire and accomplishes the same thing as individual grounds plus it makes the wiring much neater.

Let me add something to this good advice about the common ground wire for the gauges:

I use one long ground wire, and strip away only the insulation at each planned terminal. Now you can simply double the bare wire over and insert into the next wire size terminal, and crimp. If the intermediate crimped terminal ever fails, the remaining gauges will not be affected since the wire is still a single, and uncut, wire. Easy to find, and repair, any failed ground terminal crimp.

34y5p29.jpg

15hy8th.jpg

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have ratchet crimpers (left), but much prefer the non-insulated crimp for my boat work (right).
DSCI1097.jpg

DSCI1098.jpg

The terminal doesn't know if there's one wire or two in it as long as it's a good fit. The only problem is making it moisture/water proof if two wires go into the terminal and the non-insulated crimp can add to that problem as it can corrupt the insulation on the terminal - but I never worry about that part.​

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As always -- more than one way to get the job done.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another little tip. When you pull your tie wrap tight and snip the excess off twist the snipped off piece to the back of the wire bundle. The cut end of the tie wrap is sharp and with it turned to the back you will have less chance of getting cut by it when you have to reach your hand up under the dashboard or console.