Two Trolling motor on one Inflatable boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibrahimdaas

Recruit
Hi all... hope everybody safe

Have any one tried to mount two Trolling motor on one inflatable boat ? I have been thinking of this solution to increase the speed of my inflatable boat ... any one tried it with success ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
2 motors working side to side will not double the speed, will gain just slight more top end speed, but will double the torque. 2 strokes motors although are lighter than same 4 strokes counterparts are not the way to go for throlling, due to the reduced speed for such work will end fouling the plugs very fast.

Which HP motor are you currently using, plan using to power the inflatable, which size and type of boat is it ?

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If I read the question correctly, the OP simply wants his boat to go faster. In that case the 2-stroke suggestion is the best option.

Along those lines, the battery requirements for 2 electric motors in itself will kill the idea.

If all he wants to do is fishing trolling, then a bigger electric may be the answer. Regardless, with the right spark plugs and prop selection, a 2-stroke should work in any situation.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To my understanding It's not clear if the OP wants to deal with dual electric or gasoline motors for trolling purposes which is done at very slow speed, OTOH wants to increase the speed of his inflatable for what purpose ? Trolling and speeding with 2 strokes motors opposes each other. Will foul the spark plug, plugs when trolling for long time periods while speeding self cleans the tip due to much higher working temp inside the combustion chamber.
Dual Outboard.JPG

If the OP wants to go faster will need to state which HP motor whether 2 or 4 stroke motor intends to use, buy whichever, size, type of the inflatable. Propping right a "single" motor to run towards its max wot rpm range while lightly loaded will do the trick.

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The OP never said gas motors, single OR dual. When someone says "trolling motor" they usually mean electric.

He DID say "faster". That doesn't compute with fishing.

The OP needs to clarify before we make more suggestions.

(OMG, twin mercs on a rubber boat! That's one for the record books.)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the OP never mentioned trolling or fishing. only that they wanted to go faster with two trolling motors. generally a "trolling motor" usually electric as Jim mentioned. nothing was ever stated about fishing or trolling until Sea Rider made that assumption in post #3

until the OP comes back, we do not know if it is a 5' long PVC toy inflatable limited to 1.5hp or a 5 meter long rib stuck on an electric only lake

we do know that multiple electric motors will not go much faster, however will need much more battery

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about we wait for the drive-by poster to return before guessing? He joined 5 1/2 years and made his first post on Friday, which was his last visit.

Odds are he may return by 2025 or 2026, if he returns at all in which case I'll issue a public apology. This offer expires in 90 days when it officially goes dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.