Two boats...which to buy?

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice
I posted in another thread about possibly buying a Regal bowrider...I'm now not as high on that boat, but have found two others that I'm interested in...

Boat 1-05 18' Stingray bowrider 3.0 I/O with about 130 hours on the engine. Very clean boat...dealer is asking $8k and would provide a one year warranty on the motor.

Boat 2-99 18' Sea Ray bowrider 3.0 I/O...not certain how many hours on the engine. Pretty clean boat but I noticed a few rust spots on the engine...nothing I would say is serious but not a totally clean looking motor either. Also...my wife (and I) like the cockpit of this boat better than boat #1. Dealer is asking $8500.

Both prices are negotiable (probably goes without saying).

Opinions? Things I should ask the dealers? Warnings? THANKS.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Two boats...which to buy?

That is a tough choice- Sea Rays are great boats but it is already 10yrs old- I think motor & drive wise common sense would go with 5year old Stingray that is in better shape. That 130 motor is a good unit . Always do a compression test on used motors before you buy- look every thing over carefully and go for a spin.

cribber

Lieutenant

I'd go for the the '05 Stingray. Check the pricing at NADA http://www.nadaguides.com and use that pricing when you negotiate with the dealer. Be sure to check all the options that comes with the boat to get an accurate retail price.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice

My wife likes the Sea Ray better...bigger and more open cockpit appeals to her...but she doesn't know much about engines, makes, etc.

I'm not high on Stingrays but it's half the age of the Sea Ray so the motor is probably in better shape and I wouldn't face as many immediate repair issues.

You're right, it's a tough choice....I think I'm leaning toward the Sea Ray, but am very undecided.

This is boat #1
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-STINGRAY-18-BOWRIDER-95376646

This is boat #2
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-SEA-RAY-180-Bow-Rider-95316571

cribber

Lieutenant

My wife likes the Sea Ray better...bigger and more open cockpit appeals to her...but she doesn't know much about engines, makes, etc.

After seeing the pics make the Mrs happy and go for the Sea Ray. It looks like its been well maintained. The engines are the same chevy 3.0l block and the lower unit looks like it hasn't been abused.

ColaTM

Seaman

A well kept '99 Sea Ray will likely be worth more in 5 years than the '05 Stingray.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I'm suggesting the Stingray (given the 2 choices).

Everytime your wife lays out on the Sundeck of the Stingray, you'll both be glad you got it. The Volvo Penta is a good outdrive as well.

Everytime you go to adjust the seats and set up the sundeck on the Sea Ray, you'll wish you had gotten the Stingray.

Now...if the Sea Ray were the same seating arrangement as the Stingray, I'd say either!

Needless to say, I much prefer the Sundeck layout over the 'traditional' dog house & lounge seats of the Sea Ray...

jkust

Rear Admiral

That Sea Ray really looks old and dated with those blue stripes. Stingray is lesser quality than Sea Ray, not a premium boat but decent. Only because you asked for opinions would I be this direct...wipe the slate clean and keep looking. 8k at a dealer is a generally lot more than private party however the prices don't seem too far off.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice

I'm suggesting the Stingray (given the 2 choices).

Everytime your wife lays out on the Sundeck of the Stingray, you'll both be glad you got it. The Volvo Penta is a good outdrive as well.

Everytime you go to adjust the seats and set up the sundeck on the Sea Ray, you'll wish you had gotten the Stingray.

Now...if the Sea Ray were the same seating arrangement as the Stingray, I'd say either!

Needless to say, I much prefer the Sundeck layout over the 'traditional' dog house & lounge seats of the Sea Ray...

It's funny you say that about the sundeck layout...when we first started looking, my wife said she wanted a place where she could lay out on the boat, and the sundeck is perfect for that. HOWEVER, it cuts the "walk around" room down pretty badly and makes you feel like, with more then 3 people on board, you're all over each other.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice

That Sea Ray really looks old and dated with those blue stripes. Stingray is lesser quality than Sea Ray, not a premium boat but decent. Only because you asked for opinions would I be this direct...wipe the slate clean and keep looking. 8k at a dealer is a generally lot more than private party however the prices don't seem too far off.

I appreciate this advice....you think I can get a better deal with another boat if I keep looking?

I was thinking about taking the Sea Ray and offering 7k, and asking them for a one year warranty on the engine. I figure, if the engine is in good shape, they should have no problem doing something like that.

I'm taking it for a test run in the morning...but not committing to anything yet...

TilliamWe

Banned

Run them both Fred. Pay attention to how they ride in rougher water, okay?

As far as the 10 year old engine on the Sea Ray, it probably has had the exhaust manifolds replaced in the past few years, where the 5 year Stingray may need them replaced this year or next year. So kind of a wash there.

I loved the sunpad on my 97 Chap 2135 cuddy. But it definately made the cockpit crowded when there were 4 or more people on. That problem isn't as bad in a bowrider, just have someone sit up in the bow.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice

I just got back from a test run on boat #2...this one...

It ran well and my wife and kids really like it a lot...I am very close to making an offer...any advice on what to do in this stage? How can I get an independent mechanic to look at the engine? The guy who owns the dealership said they have a punchout list for boats when they sell them that includes lifting the manifolds and risers (the manifolds have not been replaced on this motor) to see if there are any issues.

My initial thought is to print out the NADA value as someone suggested, bring that in, and offer 10% above that...but ask for a 1 year warranty on the motor and outdrive. However, as above, I'd like a mechanic that I find to look at the engine as well, as my knowledge of them is limited.

Any advice about this stage would be MUCH appreciated.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice

Oh....and the stringers....haven't done much poking around with that. The transom is all glass, no worries there, and no soft spots in the floor...

jkust

Rear Admiral

I appreciate this advice....you think I can get a better deal with another boat if I keep looking?

I was thinking about taking the Sea Ray and offering 7k, and asking them for a one year warranty on the engine. I figure, if the engine is in good shape, they should have no problem doing something like that.

I'm taking it for a test run in the morning...but not committing to anything yet...

Ok I am a little late on the response since your last post. My only hesitation with either boat, ignoring the Sea Ray color not seeing each, is the presence of the 4 cylinder not the deal. 8k is cheap money for a nice boat and I looked at the Stingray seriously and they fit into the statement of 'nobody makes a bad boat these days'. The lure of the cheaper boat with the 4 is huge but my opinion is find a used boat with a 6 and get the upgrade for next to nothing. The 18 foot Stingray isn't offered with a 4 so that puts you into 195 territory. Again, opinion only...I see tons of people with 4 cylinders with smiles on their faces. If you are set on a 4 cylinder, and appreciate a little speed, the Stingray is the way to go. If you haven't tested out a 6, do yourself a favor and at least test one before you pull the trigger.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just got back from a test run on boat #2...this one...

It ran well and my wife and kids really like it a lot...I am very close to making an offer...any advice on what to do in this stage? How can I get an independent mechanic to look at the engine? The guy who owns the dealership said they have a punchout list for boats when they sell them that includes lifting the manifolds and risers (the manifolds have not been replaced on this motor) to see if there are any issues.

My initial thought is to print out the NADA value as someone suggested, bring that in, and offer 10% above that...but ask for a 1 year warranty on the motor and outdrive. However, as above, I'd like a mechanic that I find to look at the engine as well, as my knowledge of them is limited.

Any advice about this stage would be MUCH appreciated.

In this market start by offering 20% below NADA and ask for the world. don't pay more than 5% below NADA, especially if you are financing any portion of it.

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would keep looking for a 4.3.

My friend has a 3.0 in a 2005 Tahoe, it is a pig with any more than a few people. He didn't ask me before he bought it, and now he wants something else. Water sports? Forget it unless you unload every on shore.

People will chime in saying I am wrong, they are probably disgruntled 3.0 owners or they don't use their boat for more than cruising.

If you have a 3.0 and love it? Great, you have an opinion. I have mine.

My Folks had a little 19' Rinker with a 4.3, and it did everything we ever asked of it.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can agree with no 4 bangers, what a way to ruin a good boat.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I would keep looking for a 4.3.

My friend has a 3.0 in a 2005 Tahoe, it is a pig with any more than a few people. He didn't ask me before he bought it, and now he wants something else. Water sports? Forget it unless you unload every on shore.

People will chime in saying I am wrong, they are probably disgruntled 3.0 owners or they don't use their boat for more than cruising.

If you have a 3.0 and love it? Great, you have an opinion. I have mine.

My Folks had a little 19' Rinker with a 4.3, and it did everything we ever asked of it.

Great response. I hope you don't get a "you're insensitve" private message like I recently got from another post. Truthfully, I don't know how new 3.0's sell.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Well, my 1996 Glastron GS185 had a 3.0L 4Cyl. It was the perfect blend of performance & fuel economy. Easy to winterize, easy to maintain, and easy to tow.

It was perfect for my family of 4. Did I expect it to do 60mph? Nope, 44 mph was max speed, yes, just me on a glass smooth lake. Loaded with all of our gear, we were consistently in the 37-38mph range.

It towed tubers, waterskiers, kneeboards, wakeboarders, and performed flawlessly.

So, although I'm sure the 4.3L V6 has more power, the 3.0L is a rock solid efficient performer for those looking for a good boat on a budget.

I'm neither a disgruntled 3.0L owner, nor someone who used it 'just for cruising'.

I thought it was a great powerplant, you just have to have realistic expectations about it capabilities.