two big problems

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: two big problems

man, your just asking for it, aint ya.

your system needs the correct voltage regulator, you DO NOT HAVE A RECTIFIER. its a voltage regulator with built in rectification.

if you put that radio shack rectifier on your motor, it will catch fire. use the right parts.

wenied

Cadet

phatmanmike said:
man, your just asking for it, aint ya.

your system needs the correct voltage regulator, you DO NOT HAVE A RECTIFIER. its a voltage regulator with built in rectification.

if you put that radio shack rectifier on your motor, it will catch fire. use the right parts.

Really? Does everyone agree that the 25 merc does not have a rectifier?
If it isn't a rectifier then why does the mercury diagrams on the parts website for this motor call is a rectifier?

Also,
What is that little tiny rectangular box with 2 yellow/black wires coming out..one grey and one black?

wenied

Cadet

ok so the link didnt work..here u go
1 62351A 2 RECTIFIER ASSEMBLY 1 $39.99 $35.99

Laddies

Banned

David Wene--electrical engineer?
I know that the part number you have is a rectifier but the picture you have shown is clearly a voltage regulater, I should also have enough brains to not get involved in this post but I think it brings many good points to the site. First I give you a couple of suggestions to your problem, you need to know if the system is back feeding the switch box with voltage as it will kill the ign system-if you have voltage unplug the wiring harness to see if the short is in the engine harness or boat harness--no voltage check for a short in the kill system with a OHM meter-shorted unplug the harness to see which harness it is in. Either problem will come from a shorted wire or bad switch. The thing that needs to be done is to establish which problem you have and which harness or switch it is in. Now to the real problem I see with this thread in reading it, anyone who has been here very long has seen a dropping off of anwsers by experinced mechanics and I could be wrong about this I can only speak for myself of the anwsers you have gotten only one, I beleive came from a experinced marine serviceman phatmanmike and he was only trying to tell you the proper way to repair your engine as a engineer you should know if Mercury thought they could get by with a cheaper part they certainly would have! As professionals we must do repairs in a safe and professional way and wonder why anyone would do differantly, there are a alot of ways to save a Buck but the easiest is to do the job right the first time and if you can't the take it to a proffessional and get it repaired properly. When given good free advise as mike gave you don't belittle it us it. That is exactty why posts by professional mechanics are falling of on this site and being replace with wanabees
GOOD and CHEAP are not the same word--Bob

wenied

Cadet

:$
Laddies..you're all right. I'm actually a mechanical engineer...that's probably my problem. I did not in any way mean to offend anyone. Although my post indicated otherwise the first thing i did after getting of the computer was go re-evaluate the situation.
You're all correct about needing the proper part. Please take this appology from me as i realize after reading what i posted that i was wrong. (part of it probably came from having a bad day at work)

If i haven't alienated myself, I have an update for you.
I pulled the wiring harness apart and on the female end three of the wires holes are black instead of gold and the plastic/rubber is melted. I've checked all other wires and everything seems fine.

The plan: I will order a wiring harness and the mercury replacement for the regulator/rectifier deal monday and replace them both.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks for all of your help.

David

wenied

Cadet

I have another question..perhaps you'll be forgiving and help out. o:)
On the photo below..from mercurpartsexpress.com you'll see the parts diagram for my motor.
My serial number is OT724747.
You'll notice two rectifiers on the drawing. Item 1 and item 32. Mine looks like number 1. I believe after reading the footnotes that some models have number 1 and some have number 32.
Does anyone have a technical explanation about the difference between the two?

Thanks again.
untitled.JPG

JUSTINTIME

Captain

both the same thing
#32 is the older type reg/rec
the newer on has a built in heat sink

JUSTINTIME

Captain

both the same thing
#32 is the older type reg/rec
the newer on has a built in heat sink

Laddies

Banned

No, JUSTINTIME they are not the same thing 32 is a rectifier that converts AC to DC voltage,1 is a regulator that converts AC to DC and regulates voltage. When you go back to class monday check with your instructer or get out a manual and read it

wenied

Cadet

Laddies said:
No, JUSTINTIME they are not the same thing 32 is a rectifier that converts AC to DC voltage,1 is a regulator that converts AC to DC and regulates voltage. When you go back to class monday check with your instructer or get out a manual and read it

Thanks for the explanation...

Not sure what you meant about going back to class...i've been out of college for 2 years now.....perhaps you were talking to Justintime?