Twisted upper shaft maybe more.

JTROCKS1

Cadet
Long time listener...first time caller. 1978 Johnson 15 hp. Smacked something underwater...really hard. Motor still runs great however the prop won't spin under any rpm. I'm pretty sure the hub isn't spun. I did try and knwon good prop. Thinking the worst that the lower unit is junked, I drain the oil over a magnet, no metal nothing. Oil looks pretty good. I changed it this winter. I drop the lower unit and I find that the lower end of the upper drive shaft is twisted. (told you I hit something hard.) Spinning the prop, with the upper drive shaft out, I hear no funny noise, no metal on metal sounds. The same when I put it in forward or reverse gear. When I try the same thing withn the shaft in and in gear I can't get it to spin. Looking for opinions or advice here. I hoping the extent of damage is simply the twisted shaft. I'm going to take to the local dealer and see if he will drop a good shaft in there to test for further damage. Anyone else have a similiar problem and what was the outcome?

Thanks in advance.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Twisted upper shaft maybe more.

Do you have a pic of the shaft that's twisted? It may still be usuable.

JTROCKS1

Cadet

No I don't have a picture. Will get one tonight and post.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

If it won't turn, it is probable not only twisted but bent.

You should remove it to fully inspect and replace if needed.

Maybe you can run a straight edge down the length. However it won't tell you what things are like past the pump/seal area.

JTROCKS1

Cadet

The shaft itself is perfectly straight. I checked by rolling it across a flat surface. (a mirror) It's the splined end on the bottom that's obviously twisted. I know I'm probably in for a new shaft I'm just wondering how much more.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

You say with the shaft pulled the lower turns ok?

Only one of two things I can think of:
Shaft bent(already checked)
Shaft gear pushing pinion gear to deep into forward/reverse gears.(Binding)

JTROCKS1

Cadet

Hate to push this thread back to the top again but I wanted to follow up on my motor and what it took to fix it. Basically what had happened was the upper drive shaft twisted and broke about 2 inches from the bottom. I'm guessing it was damaged for sometime and finally let loose. I was able to remove the bottom two inches of the shaft with one of those things that look like a radio antenna with a magnet on the end. Installed a new drive shaft and water pump (while I was there). All back together and pushing like a champ. Keep in mind that this is after my local Evinrude/johnson dealer told me the whole lower unit was junk and would be happy to repair it for about $1000 dollars. Yea right! Thanks for all of your comments.