twin tiller engines?

fishinguy20

Recruit
Hypothetically If I have 2 of the same make and model tiller engines and combined they do not exceed the horsepower rating on my boat can I mount them as a pair? Is there a tiller extension that anybody knows of to run both throttles in sync? Or is this just a horrible idea????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: twin tiller engines?

horrible idea. even with twin remote controled engines you still have 2 throttles & shifters, & ignitions.

fishinguy20

Recruit

I realize that. I wanted to know if there was a contraption that would spin both throttle handles at the same time and give give steering capibilities. It would be like linking 2 tiller handles into one.

tashasdaddy

as far as i know, never seen one. it would be a very complicated mechanism, it would have to swivel, and rotate. it would basicly have to be gimballed. simular to the front end suspension and steering of a car. i think you would be better off either going to remote steering and controlls, or selling the 2 and buying one. 3rd option an engineering degree.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I don't see how it would be that complicated. Tie the two engines together for steering like a normal dual outboard setup with a link on their "handles".
Then sprockets & chain or whatever to lash the throttles together. Obviously remove the throttle friction from the slave outboard for safety. Starting might be a bit of an issue though! :)

i386

Captain

Someone set me straight here...

I thought twin engines had different props and props spinning in opposite directions to counteract (insert proper term here).

Paul Moir

Admiral

Torquesteer?

Yes, ideally that's exactly what you do. But it won't hurt to have two the same rotation. It's akin to having one outboard is all.

fishinguy20

Recruit

Paul said:
I don't see how it would be that complicated. Tie the two engines together for steering like a normal dual outboard setup with a link on their "handles".
Then sprockets & chain or whatever to lash the throttles together. Obviously remove the throttle friction from the slave outboard for safety. Starting might be a bit of an issue though! :)

Thats what i was hoping for.... something with a chain and sprockets that slides over the grips on the tiller handles.
your right. throwing them both in gear at the same time may cause a bit of an issue with control. :^

Gopher

Cadet

I semi-seriously toyed with the idea of twin tiller outboards by using one only for low speeds and both for high speeds. The second motor would be set to run straight at a constant throttle setting and the first would be used for adjusting course. I like the relative simplicity of the arrangement and the motor-redundancy. In the end I went with the conventional approach of single motor in the hope that starting with a new motor will give me years of non-failure out on the water. My "back up motor" is provided by towing insurance.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Hired a guide to fish the reef off Ambergris Caye in Belize...a wooden skiff with twin tiller 40's...he just stood between the tillers kind of leaning forward, one hand on each...no shirt, no shoes, no problem...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

i386 counter-rotation is the term

tashasdaddy

jtexas, easy solution, but don't think the water police would approve in the states.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

My grandpa use to have a 15hp and 25hp tillers on the back of his 14 foot fishing boat and he would throttle up the 25hp then the 15hp and just steer the 25hp and the 15hp would follow along and turn the same as the 25hp did.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

If you have the ability to work aluminum and a little bit of technical knoledge that sounds like a great project. I might try to make one of those in the future.

BF

Lieutenant

I posted this exact Q a year or two ago, but didn't get much input... I have thought about replacing the 25 hp on my 16' aluminum (rated for 35) with twin 15's (I have one of those already).

I wondered whether the front of the 2 motors could be linked with a type of tie rod thing (where remote steering would normally attach, and then use a 2 cable system to link the 2 throttles together (would attach to the little posts that would normally accept the throttle cable if you used a remote box). It would be like motorcycle throttle cables. Then, maybe take one tiller arm off, and just leave one. Twisting that grip would adjust both throttles. (?)

I've never got around to it... still have the 25 hp.

I've seen a few people run twin tillers.. but always just with 2 busy hands.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no laws here against twin tillers. quite a few 20ft fishing boats in VE run twin 48 yamaha enduros. sometimes with one helmsman sometimes with two.

fishinguy20

Recruit

BF:

I just have a 14' jon boat with a 5 horse briggs on the back. It gets it on plane just fine but I would like a little more speed so I thought about mounting 2 side by side and since I would buy used I would have less invested than a new 4 hp "name brand outboard". other than the speed I am completely happy it still pushes it like my old 7.5 evinrude.