twin mariners

kahuna

Seaman
I have twin 1989 200 h.p. Mariners CXL. They run rough between 1500 and 2300 r.p.m. Warning horn sounds occasionally when I increase to 4500 rpm, but not always. two days ago warning horn sounded for two minutes when I started them cold, then went off. Also running very smokey. compression good on both 1-5 130 to 135 but 6th on both 110 and 115. Motors sat all last year. Any ideas. Thanks

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: twin mariners

Clean out the fuel system including the carbs,reset float levels when you reassemble.Change the impellers & any other worn parts in the water pumps.Buy a spare set of plugs for each motor along with a couple of cans of Decarb.(mercury powertune or equivalent).Follow the instructions on the can Then put in the new plugs & off you go.If not get a shovel dig a large hole & bury them....have a beer or ten :) & go buy 2 mercs :D :D .Just kidding your problems should be solved by doing the above the low compression is probably caused by stuck rings funny how its the bottom cylinder on both thats not good..gravity does funny things :) The impeller/water pumps should be checked/replaced as the impeller can set in position if the motor is not run often.9 times out of 10 a motor that is used often will be in better mechanical condition tha one that is used rarely.

kahuna

Seaman

Sharkcat:<br /><br />Thanks. The engines have new water pumps etc.. I'll do the Decarb and new plugs, look at the carbs. When its done I'll let you know. I believe you're right about the sticking rings on the 6th cylinders. Someone else told me the same thing. Is Fosters really a bottom shelf beer down under. Thanks again

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fosters is what we give the kids until they are old enough to drink real beer..I live in Western Australia.Fosters is mainly drunk in NSW & Victoria its just an everyday beer.I dont like it it has no flavour.Try Tooheys Old...mothers milk :D