Turning point hustler 4 blade

nola mike

Vice Admiral
From this thread that we hijacked:

"nola mike said:
I only got 42 mph/4400 rpm the other day with my new 4 blade/9 aboard. Haven't tried solo yet, but with old 21p and just me I'm getting 47/4900. Mine is allegedly around 220 hp, though I don't think I'm getting that.
@QBhoy said:
Is that the mpi you have Nola ? I’ve propped a few similar boats that size and with the mpi 4.3 now. Found that these things absolutely and essentially require very careful propping, to run at their best. Fairly typical for them to be a little lazy down low, I found. Ideally they need to be propped as close to the limiter (or even on it if light) top end…just to help them out low down. Sounds like you are about that anyway. Further to that…and after lots of messing and experimenting…I couldn’t believe the difference in performance results, between the handful of props within a couple of inches of each other. Happy to tell you all about the exact details, if you’re at all interested, but long story short…the overwhelming top prop that showed best suited, by a huge margin, over the rest…was a 3 blade tempest plus. Won’t bore you with everything, but just one example of what I mean…would be comparing the tempest to a 4 blade ally merc prop (might have been a nemesis…can’t remember right now without the details recorded to hand).
So despite the tempest being a 19”…and the nemesis being a 21” pitch. The 4 blade ran up to the limiter at around 4900-4950 rpm from memory. Doing around 46 mph at its very best I’m sure. The tempest of less pitch…ran an incredible 52 or maybe even a 53 mph gps at just over 4900 im sure. Only touched the limiter for a second and once. When really trying and light. Had enough grip down low to plane well too. Also outstanding and very evident was the huge difference in cruising efficiency when running in the mid 20’s. Vastly more efficient on the smartcraft fuel figures. Actually showed lower rpm than some of the 21” props tried."

The thought behind the 4 blade was that the boat is a lot more stern heavy with the 4.3. also reconfigured the boat with a rear bench instead of the old school back to back seats, so still more weight in the rear. Took it out today with just me and the boy. A bit rough so couldn't trim out fully. But it felt like it got out of the water quicker than the 3 blade 21p that it replaced. I don't care too much about top speed, rarely keep it at wot for long. I did hit 44 mph/4200 rpm going against the wind/current with some throttle left to spare. I was getting 47-49 mph/4900 rpm with 3 blades and just me, and felt like I needed more trim but the prop started to lose grip. I think I'll be able to match that with this prop, or at least come very close.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
From this thread that we hijacked:

"nola mike said:
I only got 42 mph/4400 rpm the other day with my new 4 blade/9 aboard. Haven't tried solo yet, but with old 21p and just me I'm getting 47/4900. Mine is allegedly around 220 hp, though I don't think I'm getting that.
@QBhoy said:
Is that the mpi you have Nola ? I’ve propped a few similar boats that size and with the mpi 4.3 now. Found that these things absolutely and essentially require very careful propping, to run at their best. Fairly typical for them to be a little lazy down low, I found. Ideally they need to be propped as close to the limiter (or even on it if light) top end…just to help them out low down. Sounds like you are about that anyway. Further to that…and after lots of messing and experimenting…I couldn’t believe the difference in performance results, between the handful of props within a couple of inches of each other. Happy to tell you all about the exact details, if you’re at all interested, but long story short…the overwhelming top prop that showed best suited, by a huge margin, over the rest…was a 3 blade tempest plus. Won’t bore you with everything, but just one example of what I mean…would be comparing the tempest to a 4 blade ally merc prop (might have been a nemesis…can’t remember right now without the details recorded to hand).
So despite the tempest being a 19”…and the nemesis being a 21” pitch. The 4 blade ran up to the limiter at around 4900-4950 rpm from memory. Doing around 46 mph at its very best I’m sure. The tempest of less pitch…ran an incredible 52 or maybe even a 53 mph gps at just over 4900 im sure. Only touched the limiter for a second and once. When really trying and light. Had enough grip down low to plane well too. Also outstanding and very evident was the huge difference in cruising efficiency when running in the mid 20’s. Vastly more efficient on the smartcraft fuel figures. Actually showed lower rpm than some of the 21” props tried."

The thought behind the 4 blade was that the boat is a lot more stern heavy with the 4.3. also reconfigured the boat with a rear bench instead of the old school back to back seats, so still more weight in the rear. Took it out today with just me and the boy. A bit rough so couldn't trim out fully. But it felt like it got out of the water quicker than the 3 blade 21p that it replaced. I don't care too much about top speed, rarely keep it at wot for long. I did hit 44 mph/4200 rpm going against the wind/current with some throttle left to spare. I was getting 47-49 mph/4900 rpm with 3 blades and just me, and felt like I needed more trim but the prop started to lose grip. I think I'll be able to match that with this prop, or at least come very close.
Yeah. Remember now Nola. Sounds like you have it pretty good as she is now !

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Got to test it more yesterday. Seems a bit snappier off the line than the old one. Lower RPMs/given speed. Topped out at 49-50 mph with just me aboard, 4600 rpm. A bit lower rpm than I'd like. With 4 aboard it managed 44-4500 rpm at 47-48 mph. Basically behaved like a 23p high up. Gained some top end over the 3 blade but again, I would probably prefer some more rpms.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Got to test it more yesterday. Seems a bit snappier off the line than the old one. Lower RPMs/given speed. Topped out at 49-50 mph with just me aboard, 4600 rpm. A bit lower rpm than I'd like. With 4 aboard it managed 44-4500 rpm at 47-48 mph. Basically behaved like a 23p high up. Gained some top end over the 3 blade but again, I would probably prefer some more rpms.
Interesting. Just reading this on the phone here Nola. Tell me briefly again the basic details of the 4 blade ? What pitch did you say it was again ? Must admit, I’ve not tried any of the known good 4 blades on my bowrider. Just with the thinking that the only reason I think I could see sense in one…would be if the boat was badly behaved at full throttle and high speed. Chine walking etc. I also own a 40 year old classic cvx16 with a v6 merc 150 on her transom. That kind of boat I think can offset the top end prop slip from a 4 blade…just because a 4 blade on that can settle and stabilise things..meaning pushing the limits doesn’t require crash helmets and ambulances 😂. I’ve not actually had a 4 blade on that boat either. Only a 23” laser 2 and a 23” ballistic 3 blade. She managed just short of 67 gps but revving far too high and just scary coming through the early 60’s to get there. Not pleasant at all. Tempted to go for a trophy or bravo 4 blade for that boat. But for the campion bowrider…I think there’s likely not a need perhaps. Could be wrong though. Silly for me or anyone to assume they can predict the behaviour or findings from any prop…without trying it for real. Just know that the campion can sit in the mid to late 60’s and as settled happy as can be. Literally you could take your hands off the wheel, she’s that well behaved.
Love to hear, read or be informed about anything related to this kind of thing Nola. Particularly keen to hear how you get on further from now. Tell me all about it.
Allan.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Old prop was a michigan 21p 3 blade, this is a 21p 4 blade. Old prop felt like it would blow out before I could trim it enough. I was hoping for more bite and stern lift with this one, but espectially better hole shot (it is vented as well). Feel like it accomplished those objectives so far. Though it's still a cheap prop. Might keep my eyes open for a nicer used 3 blade.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Old prop was a michigan 21p 3 blade, this is a 21p 4 blade. Old prop felt like it would blow out before I could trim it enough. I was hoping for more bite and stern lift with this one, but espectially better hole shot (it is vented as well). Feel like it accomplished those objectives so far. Though it's still a cheap prop. Might keep my eyes open for a nicer used 3 blade.
Got you. Can honestly say that of all the messing with props I’ve done (to the point of silliness)…I’ve only ever found consistency in terms of behaviour, finish and quality…from a good merc stainless. The Yamaha k series props are good too, I’ll admit.
I’d even go so far to say that you probably wouldn’t go too far wrong with my most recent all round favourite prop. The incredible tempest plus. Amazing prop Nola. Behaviour of its own perhaps, with it acting like an inch more pitch than most others of the same pitch. But only in terms of mid range rpms in proportion to speed. A good thing, I think. Seriously capable for gripping with its big blades and can take lots of trim before it will give up its hold. I find it has a behaviour that lifts the boat very evenly or from a central area, if you get me. As if its lifting point is right in the middle of the hull. Neutral lift and not particularly biased to bow or stern. Rather both. Hope that makes sense.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Got you. Can honestly say that of all the messing with props I’ve done (to the point of silliness)…I’ve only ever found consistency in terms of behaviour, finish and quality…from a good merc stainless. The Yamaha k series props are good too, I’ll admit.
I’d even go so far to say that you probably wouldn’t go too far wrong with my most recent all round favourite prop. The incredible tempest plus. Amazing prop Nola. Behaviour of its own perhaps, with it acting like an inch more pitch than most others of the same pitch. But only in terms of mid range rpms in proportion to speed. A good thing, I think. Seriously capable for gripping with its big blades and can take lots of trim before it will give up its hold. I find it has a behaviour that lifts the boat very evenly or from a central area, if you get me. As if its lifting point is right in the middle of the hull. Neutral lift and not particularly biased to bow or stern. Rather both. Hope that makes sense.
Have you tried any of the volvo penta props ? have two friends with boats with 4.3s ( one 2 bbl other MPI) and both impressed me with the performance of the stock VP SS prop on them- these are just SX drives not DP...

When I had my old boat, I tried a Hustler, but wasn't a fan of it. Ended up switching to a Quicksilver Nemesis, which gave me a bit more top end with a similar hole shot and mid range.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well, I went skiing for the first time in 2 years. Got me up with full tank of gas and 3 aboard on a dedicated slalom ski. I had a REAL hard time with the 3 blade, this seemed much easier (but 2 years ago...). What is true is that I have, if anything, gained 1 or 2 mph top end. Hit 47 on the same trip with the 4 of us. Felt that I was able to trim it out more. I installed an AF gauge and am running in the 10's at WOT, so I'm hoping that I have some HP still hiding in there.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Well, I went skiing for the first time in 2 years. Got me up with full tank of gas and 3 aboard on a dedicated slalom ski. I had a REAL hard time with the 3 blade, this seemed much easier (but 2 years ago...). What is true is that I have, if anything, gained 1 or 2 mph top end. Hit 47 on the same trip with the 4 of us. Felt that I was able to trim it out more. I installed an AF gauge and am running in the 10's at WOT, so I'm hoping that I have some HP still hiding in there.
That is identical to my experience with a 4 blade, can trim up more => higher top speed.