Turn the boat, kill the engine.

fritzL

Seaman
So i am out on the water.
Finally this year...or so i thought.
Turn to starboard or port and the emgine dies. Crank and crank and repest, it will catch after a bit and then all is fine until i attempt another hard turn..
Dies.
Specifics:
1987 Bluefin Sportsman 1900
2.3l OMC Cobra.
Runs straight line at 32mph as per cellphone gps.
Turn hard and as reported.dies and hard to restart.
Thanks for reading
F.and crew

alldodge

Staff member
Hey @kenny nunez
Not a OMC dude but dies when turning I'm thinking electrical

If it was a Merc I look at shift interrupter and see if it's moving when being turned. The OMC does have a similar item and maybe same kind of thing

kenny nunez

Captain
There may be some water sloshing around in the carburetor float bowl. All it takes is a few drops. As far as electrical the wiring harness and steering could be somehow in contact. Also should check the ignition switch to make sure non of the wires are loose.

fritzL

Seaman
Thanks All,
The tank is almost full...
I will,.in the.next few days, open the carb and take a peek.and add HEAT to the tank. I did just look at the electrical connectors and they are suspect...
I am.pretty.sure i wont be able to.replace the connectors with OEM stuff...
That being said, who makes good servicable water proof electrical connectors?
A few of the connectors i have in my boat have numerous leads of vastly various sizes.
18 AWG to 6AWG or so...

Thank you
And if you celebrate have a great and careful 4th of July
F. And crew

kenny nunez

Captain
The best way to repair any connections is with either soldering with shrink wrap or using crimp terminals with shrink wrap. Even home depot has a pretty good selection. An electronics specialty shop would have the best of if there is one near. NAPA and the usual auto stores are another source.
Be sure to get the correct Holley marine kit for the carburetor.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Check for water in your fuel tank...it lays on the bottom of the tank and when you turn hard the pickup gets the water....

fritzL

Seaman
The best way to repair any connections is with either soldering with shrink wrap or using crimp terminals with shrink wrap. Even home depot has a pretty good selection. An electronics specialty shop would have the best of if there is one near. NAPA and the usual auto stores are another source.
Be sure to get the correct Holley marine kit for the carburetor.
Soldering would replace the connectors.
Not sure if i want to do that..
I have wired several motorcycles.and even an International Harvestor 1956...
Had a long conversation with an Airforce aviation master Sergeant about soldering a.connection, vs crimping with proper tools. He convinced me, i was pro.solder, to.start using proper crimp.and heat shrink.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I can't see how it would be a fuel problem. I'd be looking at electrical issues or a crimped fuel line. See if it does it hooked up to a hose in the yard. That might help diagnose the issue.

fritzL

Seaman
I can't see how it would be a fuel problem. I'd be looking at electrical issues or a crimped fuel line. See if it does it hooked up to a hose in the yard. That might help diagnose the issue.
Did not have an issue sitting still on the muffs...

airshot

Rear Admiral
This makes much sense. Would i have to.drain the tank completely?
I would, leaving any water in there will only attract more water. You can try sucking some fuel out and testing it. Water sits on the bottom, so any fuel sucked out needs to come from the bottom !! Let some sit in a clear container for a short while and see if any water seperates out. Do this a few times if you don't see any to be sure. Do you have a water seperator/ filter ? These filter fuel and take out the water, or add a good inline clear fuel filter, often any water can be seen thru the clear filter. years back I had a very similiar issue and found the exterior tank vent was getting water forced into it when running in chop. The hose did not have an upward loop to prevent water from running into the fuel tank. Tough issue to figure out, but once I did, no more problems. Trouble shooting can be a real pain....hope this helps !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Soldering would replace the connectors.
Not sure if i want to do that..
I have wired several motorcycles.and even an International Harvestor 1956...
Had a long conversation with an Airforce aviation master Sergeant about soldering a.connection, vs crimping with proper tools. He convinced me, i was pro.solder, to.start using proper crimp.and heat shrink.
I used to have long term issues with crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing with corrosion being the issue. Then I found that applying a small amount of diaelectric grease into the heat shrink tube before shrinking it fixed all that. Been over ten years since I started doing that and O issues since. Do the same for soldered connections with heat shrink tubing !!

fritzL

Seaman
I would, leaving any water in there will only attract more water. You can try sucking some fuel out and testing it. Water sits on the bottom, so any fuel sucked out needs to come from the bottom !! Let some sit in a clear container for a short while and see if any water seperates out. Do this a few times if you don't see any to be sure. Do you have a water seperator/ filter ? These filter fuel and take out the water, or add a good inline clear fuel filter, often any water can be seen thru the clear filter. years back I had a very similiar issue and found the exterior tank vent was getting water forced into it when running in chop. The hose did not have an upward loop to prevent water from running into the fuel tank. Tough issue to figure out, but once I did, no more problems. Trouble shooting can be a real pain....hope this helps !!
I believe i do have a water separator ... i will double check.
So, merely pouring in 2 bottles of heat is not sufficient?
I have close to 20 gallons of fuel left and no place to put it.
Mommas gonna be mad if her oits and pans smell.funny...

I was told to get rid of the clear filter i had as the water sheriff will ticket me

airshot

Rear Admiral
I believe i do have a water separator ... i will double check.
So, merely pouring in 2 bottles of heat is not sufficient?
I have close to 20 gallons of fuel left and no place to put it.
Mommas gonna be mad if her oits and pans smell.funny...

I was told to get rid of the clear filter i had as the water sheriff will ticket me
Just siphon it into a few 5 gallon cans, but, siphon out a quart or so and check for water, you might be lucky and there won't be any!! I would try that a few times and see if you can detect any water first !!
Why would the water sheriff give you a ticket ?? Never heard of such a thing unless it was glass....my clear inline filter has a marine rating stamped right on it, bought it a walmart....

fritzL

Seaman
I remived the water separator...about 16 oz of fluid. 1/4 inch on bottom of the 16 oz water bottle.was petrol....
Is that indicative of the status of the tank? Proportional?

alldodge

Staff member
I remived the water separator...about 16 oz of fluid. 1/4 inch on bottom of the 16 oz water bottle.was petrol....
Is that indicative of the status of the tank? Proportional?
Gas is lighter the water, so the gas will be on top. All needs to come out and disposed of

Once water gets in with E-10 gas, the Ethanol will absorb water and your asking for trouble with phase separation