Turkey Guides part II

Carphunter

Commander
Well, I start my new turkey guiding adventure tomorrow. Wish me luck, i'm sure gonna need it. Unfortunately the weather forecast favors ducks over turkeys, but I sure won't let that stop me, Ive taken many gobblers in the rain.<br />This will make my 20th opening day of turkey hunting here in the great state of Indiana, and I still get just as excited now as I did the first time I went.<br /><br />.....now, as long as I keep my shaved head camouflaged, I should be ok. :D

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Turkey Guides part II

Carpy, no need to leave us. You can get all the turkey's you want right here. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

:D <br /><br />Are you putting them to roost tonight, or are you just gonna wing it? I like hunting them in the rain, it's about the only time I can actually get them to come into the fields. If it's clear and sunny they will stay on the hardwood ridges all day.<br /><br />Must be pretty hard to paint that bald head camo. And huntin in high heels has got to be tough on the ankles :D <br /><br />Good luck and be patient.... :cool:

Carphunter

Commander

I made it back!...............................cricket...cricket. Hey, is anybody there? :p <br /><br />Well, we hunted hard for five days and man was it fun. I guided 4 fella's from Indianapolis who had never bagged a Turkey, and they all got one. (I even had time to go out and get one myself, 23-1/2 lbs, 10-1/2" beard, 1-1/16" spurs).<br /><br />I have been huntin my whole life, and I have to say, this is the most fun I have ever had hunting.<br />These fella's were so excited to take their first turkey. We were high-fiving each other, whooping and hollering,........it sure was exciting. I was way more excited for those guys when they bagged their birds then I was when I bagged mine.<br />The last fella I guided was 48 years old, he had been hunting turkeys for 14 years without getting one. We hunted hard for two days, and on the last hour of the last day of his hunt, I called a nice tom across a small creek into a field. We watched that bird strut for 15 minutes before he got within range. Then, BOOM, ........he made a great shot.<br />I hunted hard for five days and I saw five turkeys bagged in that time.<br />It sure is fun to share my love of hunting with others who share my interests.<br />Looks like i'll be doing this again next year. I have at least 4 people that have requested me to guide them again in 2005. ;) <br /><br />God was surely watching over me on those hunts. :) <br /><br />I know your all glad i'm back.........right? :D

tylerin

Commander

Click, click, click...squeek, squeek, squeek Carpy's back :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Whooooo hooooo!! Welcome back man!!! Good job on the gobblers. Did they tip you good? Really cool that you had time to get out there for yourself and bag a Tommy! My season starts in exactly 5 days, can't wait.

Carphunter

Commander

Are you still tryin to ride on me Tylerin? Since your about 30 quick witted replies behind, i'll let ya catch up. :p When will you learn boy, I am the Master, and you are the student. :D <br /><br />Let me tell ya guageguy, it was totally awesome!<br />Tips varied from $50.00 to $80.00, but it didn't matter. I don't care about the tips. I just love being out there. <br />I am very fortunate that where I am guiding is some of the best land I have ever hunted. The family that I was guiding for owns around 1,500 acres, and they farm at least twice that much, and I have access to all of it. I always say, your only gonna be as good as the land you hunt, and i'm hunting some great land. There was a total of 6 people that were guided so far, (there are three guides including me), and all 6 bagged a turkey, plus two of the guides.<br />We have three more fella's coming on the weekend of May 8th, and that will be all.<br /><br />Good luck on your hunt there guageguy.

gaugeguy

Captain

We are only allowed one bird in the spring, so my turkey season usually lasts about 1 hour. Seems like there are more gobblers around lately. One really cool thing is that two of my buds are gonna be trying it for the first time this year, so after I bag mine I'll be able to call for them and hopefully will be able to enjoy the excitement you enjoyed :cool: <br /><br />Ever try to bow hunt them?<br /><br />"Tylerin is not the droid you are looking for" :p

Carphunter

Commander

"Tylerin is not the droid you are looking for" :p
guageguy, now you remember what happened last time, we made people mad with those comments. ;) <br /><br />Such sensitive people. :rolleyes: <br /><br />I have not bowhunted Turkeys, but would definetly like to try. My brother does and has taken three with a bow.<br /><br />"May the forks be with you" :p

Fly Rod

Commander

:) GOOOOOOOOBLE!!! GOOOOOOBLE!!!!! :D :D <br /><br />That's turkey slang for<br /><br /> "GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! ;) :cool:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

so u was all worried over nothing carp? :p <br />sounds like u hit the bulls-eye on both counts...<br />congrats!<br /> :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ok, so give up the details on callin in that tom<br />now! "professional" (free)tips are always welcome :) <br />and when does the TV show start?<br />GG and Ty and Carp hosting, but who's shemp? :p

Carphunter

Commander

Ok Mellow, you asked. I have a secret call I use. I really don't like to share it. Its been handed down from generation to generation. It will be hard to type exactly how this call sounds, but it sounds something like this:<br />"Heeeeeere Turkey, Turkey, Turkey..........Heeeeeere Turkey, Turkey, Turkey".<br /><br />Now if that don't work, I usually go to Kroger and buy one. :D

gaugeguy

Captain

That's not a secret call, I have the same one! It never works :p <br /><br />Funny thing about calling. I gave my son an old slate scratch call, it's at least 25 years old. I take him out and he starts working this call--he sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard, absolutely horrible. It wasn't 5 minutes and he had a tom gobbling at him. He brought that bird to about 40 yards from us, before he moved and the turkey busted him (lesson learned). <br /><br />Now here I am sounding like the sweetest hen in the woods, and I've had toms walk away from me. I've heard it said the worst sounding turkey call is actually made by a hen turkey. If I am working a hot bird, I don't call too often. Their internal GPS locks right on to your position and they will be there. The biggest asset in the turkey woods is...PATIENCE.<br /><br />nyuk, nyuk, nyuk :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

curly said:<br />"Funny thing about calling. I gave my son an old slate scratch call, it's at least 25 years old. I take him out and he starts working this call--he sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard, absolutely horrible"<br />good story GG :)