turbulence from new motor affecting depth finder

jamesbream

Recruit
I recently upgraded from a 50 to a 90 hp on my pontoon. I never had a problem before, but now when I go over 15 mph I lose the depth and get a reading of a foot or two. Being a pontoon I do not know where to move the transducer to. Please help!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Tilt the back of the transducer UP slightly too. Since the new engine is heavier, the angle of the boat has changed also and can affect the signal. You want the transducer parallel with the bottom of the lake, not with the boat..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You didn't indicate where or how the transducer is mounted. If it is mounted at the back of one of the tubes it likely wasn't the new motor that is causing the problem. It may be someone bumped the transducer during the engine swap.;

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Or the bigger engine is putting out more electrical noise affecting the wiring of the transducer but that usually gives different symptoms like a fuzzy image.

Where is it mounted? Like Silvertip suggested.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Look over the back of the boat when you get to the point where the depth sounder starts acting up and see what the water flow looks like around and under the depth sounder.

Did you go over 15 MPH with your old motor?