Tubes keep ripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay, I do a lot of pulling a tube with everyone I go out with. I’m now looking for a new towable after destroying 4 in less then one whole summer.

I keep ripping the canvas or the tow section right off. My recent one, an HO GT3, held up best for awhile. But yesterday after one hard pull I ripped over half the canvas along multiple seams.

I figured i would be able to order a new canvas but that doesn’t appear to be an option. So now I’m looking for a new tube and want your opinions.

boat is a 16’ 86 seaswirl runabout with a 2.5/3.0 (no markiing, not sure) with a 400 stringer drive.

I would really like to have a tube that’s in the sitting position and probably 2 person as the GT3 was definitely pushing it a bit for my boat. The more affordable the better! Haha

TIA

Shadow91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No they are always drained, dried out and folded and put away.

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you ëasing the throttle on or NAILING it?

We have several tubes and have never had one come apart.

We are towing with either a 26' pontoon (250 Yamaha) or a 26'Crownline (7.4L MerCruiser Bravo III). Some serious tugging power.

We've even had occasions when they submarined, enough to break the rope :eek: but not rip the tube apart.

Maclin

Admiral
Make sure they are inflated properly, and check them every so often on the water and stop pulling them or pump them back up if they are low.

Shadow91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Make sure they are inflated properly, and check them every so often on the water and stop pulling them or pump them back up if they are low.

I do my best to check the tube after every rider change. I like a fully inflated tube as it glides over the water much better and is more enjoyable for everyone. I have a 12v air pump i keep on the boat.

And i have generally ripped the covers when i get too much slack and seem to hit hard. I know its hard on them, but i remember being beat to hell when i was younger with those tubes and they always seemed to hold out fine.

I just bought an airhead 'live wire' and will try to ease into it more and keep the slack out of the line.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Allowing the lines to get slack and then nailing the throttle will kill your tubes. The same is true if the tube submarines and you hit the throttle. You really have to watch your speed and slow down if you get any noticeable slack, especially on tubes that are large and/or hold more than one rider.

fishrdan

Admiral
I have a 12v air pump i keep on the boat.

The cheap 12V air pump I have can't get the tube firm enough, so I also have a manual pump on the boat. Bulk fill with the 12V pump, then firm it up with the hand pump.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Man, and I thought I was hard on tubes. We get one to last typically a year or 2. We're pretty rough; we generally tow between 20 and 30 mph with up to 2 people. Sometimes we tow 2 at the same time and the riders are grabbing and kicking the other tube trying to knock that guy off.
I can't imagine how you could destroy 4 in one summer but if you really are pulling on slack lines that will probably do it. Basically don't ever let the line go slack. It does take some skill on the part of the driver. Also, I don't know your boat but I certainly don't need anything close to wide open throttle to get going. Even with a 23' boat and 9 or so people in the boat I only use about half the throttle to get going.
The tube I bought a year ago was an Airhead. It just ripped Thursday on the 4th. I'd really like to figure out how to determine which tubes use thicker material, stronger seems, etc. But, they don't seem to list that very much.

MadKaw

Recruit
Are you following the performance guidelines for the given toys? Many have a speed limit of 17 mph...

Status
Not open for further replies.