Trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thinking of trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Ok found the bracket for 10.85 at marineengines. So I'll probably go that route. On that one.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Boy, there's no way you're married having the engine apart on the kitchen table!! :)

130# and 127#'s are great. I would never open up an engine with those numbers. I don't think I've ever had an 18 that high. I'd leave it alone. Others may differ though.

As for the bracket, you'd never JB weld it very well. For $11, I'd buy the new one.

nwcove

Admiral

Boy, there's no way you're married having the engine apart on the kitchen table!! :)

130# and 127#'s are great. I would never open up an engine with those numbers. I don't think I've ever had an 18 that high. I'd leave it alone. Others may differ though.

As for the bracket, you'd never JB weld it very well. For $11, I'd buy the new one.

if you are married.....does the wife have a sister???? lol ;)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wait! I want the sister!

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL...No wifie guess that explains it. LOL

Here's my days work. Gonna try and get everything ready for paint this week
2012-01-28 18 Hp johnson pre teardown.jpgtransom mount all that's left.jpg18hp johnson complete breakdown.jpg

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Gotta love a shop that's warm and where one can eat and rest in!

Mas

kfa4303

Banned

I love the progress cc. I would leave the power head alone too, considering it already has such great numbers. let sleeping dogs lie, cans of worms all that sorta stuff. I would just give a good cleaning and prep it for paint. Are you gonna paint it white again, or keep it blue? I can't wait to see it all go back together. Maybe it will inspire me to get my FD-19 running. Cheers!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hmmmmm an outboard torn apart on the dining room table? Never tried that one before. :D I usually only bring stripped and painted parts in the house. LOL

AlTn

Commander

I'm voting with the "don't mess" contingent as far as the powerhead goes. The motor in pieces on the dining room table reminds me of a scene circa 1971 of an Triumph Tiger Cub engine and transmission sitting in a bathtub awaiting a "final cleaning". Three guys, rental house, party, early spring, etc...

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gotta love a shop that's warm and where one can eat and rest in!
Mas
Hmmmmm an outboard torn apart on the dining room table? Never tried that one before. :D I usually only bring stripped and painted parts in the house. LOL
I'm voting with the "don't mess" contingent as far as the powerhead goes. The motor in pieces on the dining room table reminds me of a scene circa 1971 of an Triumph Tiger Cub engine and transmission sitting in a bathtub awaiting a "final cleaning". Three guys, rental house, party, early spring, etc...

LOL...I guess I should be more appreciative of being able to do this stuff in the kitchen,as It seems I'm in the minority in the ability to do so.:D It is nice too stay warm,and have a two step walk to the fridge. :D. Kfa I plan on painting the power head white with just a little metallic blue. The body will be metallic blue. And the cowl will be white with metallic blue accents.
Thanks guys I'll just clean and paint powerhead. That's what I hoped to do just wanted some second opinions.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's hilarious; my control arm was broken in exactly the same spot! Must be a weak spot...

I don't plan to run controls on mine, just use it on the tiller; so I was going to leave the arm off entirely, or have a go at JB welding it. But if it can be found that cheaply, I might just slap one on for the sake of completeness...

-Duncan

kfa4303

Banned

I like the blue and white paint scheme idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've got sort of a blue and white color scheme going on my boat, such as it is, also. I've been toying around with the idea of painting something cool on the cowl of my FD-20. It's in great shape, but it's awfully plain and white. I'd like to do something sort of like in the picture below (yeah right). The only problem is that I can't draw a straight line with a ruler :) Never mind paint an ancient Japanese water dragon motif. LOL. Oh well, I guess I'll think of something eventually and I got a complement on it the other day from and old timer at the boat ramp as is, so maybe I should just leave it be. Either way, I think I need to put a couple coats of clear on it because the area around the pull start handle is getting all scuffed up every time the black, rubber handle retracts into the starter:/ No big whoop really, but it does kinda ruin the nice purty white paint job. Congrats again on all the progress. Cheers.

39905748.Porcelaindragonflask.jpg

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's hilarious; my control arm was broken in exactly the same spot! Must be a weak spot...

I don't plan to run controls on mine, just use it on the tiller; so I was going to leave the arm off entirely, or have a go at JB welding it. But if it can be found that cheaply, I might just slap one on for the sake of completeness...

-Duncan

That's crazy. Yeah I had no idea till I got down to it. It's 10.50 at marinenegine.com So it's not that bad

nwcove

Admiral

Wait! I want the sister!

lol...now we're fighting over the non-existant sister! ok....i have 21 motors, the biggest is 15hp.....you need more motors or one with more hp....and you win! ( not sure if my wife would approve of another lady in the house!...or if i could deal with two giving me grief about my ob's!)

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Kfa...That dragon motif would look sweet. I think you'd need an airbrush and quite a bit of artistic ability to pull it off though. I'm good for a couple stripes that's about it.LOL You could go that route some sort of racing stripes in whatever color blue you like. That's not to hard to pull off. Then a couple coats of clear. One thought that just hit me They have those people/companies that I think you can give them a pic of whatever you want and they can make a decal of it. You put on like window tint. Kinda like how NASCARs do it. Once it's on you really can't tell it's a decal. It might be 50 to 100$ bucks but still way better than anything non painters could pull off,and far cheaper than paying for custom paint job from someone. especially if it's closer to 50$. I've never looked into it ,but I'm pretty sure there's people who do it. Hopefully a piece the size to cover a cowl wouldn't be too much.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol...now we're fighting over the non-existant sister! ok....i have 21 motors, the biggest is 15hp.....you need more motors or one with more hp....and you win! ( not sure if my wife would approve of another lady in the house!...or if i could deal with two giving me grief about my ob's!)

LOL. yeah could you Imagine 2X the amount of grief.:D Every compliant would come atcha twice one right after the other LOL.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have about 70 outboards... Do I win the sister? :)

nwcove

Admiral

70!? i think you win the sister and her cousin!!! lol

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Is the cousin cute?

Status
Not open for further replies.