Trying to get prop off an old 85 hp Merc. 1978. Removed the nut but its stuck on.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Trying to get prop off an old 85 hp Merc. 1978. Removed the nut but the prop is not budging and its stuck on. What should I do. The boat was a beater lobster boat left is saltwater for a couple years.

I have successfully swapped props before on Johnson motors of the same era before. All I did was remove a cotterpin and nut and it slid right off. The splines do look different thought.

Are Johnson and Merc Props interchangeable sometimes?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trying to get prop off an old 85 hp Merc. 1978. Removed the nut but its stuck on

Wow! A couple of years in salt I would say its not coming off but you could try soaking it with PB blaster
Put a 2 X 4 against the base of a blade and whack it.Not too hard but keep at it.
You could also rig up a puller.Is there a gear case left?

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trying to get prop off an old 85 hp Merc. 1978. Removed the nut but its stuck on

I mean the motor did not sit in water, but the boat did. Those zinc tab things are totally trashed. I'll try the pb blaster. Good call.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a prop get stuck once. Had to use a tourch on the prop, get it hot and the rubber bushing will actually push the prop off, then you can get a puller on the inner sleeve, or cut it off of the prop shaft.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class

View attachment 112570

Here is a picture of the prop. I got the nut off and pb blasted the splines, but its not moving. I'm hoping to avoid the torch method.

Sorry that picture is poor because it was raining and my camera is pretty silly

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gosh darn it. Those attachments worked last night on my girlfriends computer... I'll try again tonight.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get a 3 slot puller such as you would use for a harmonic balancer. get some 3/8 ready rod and make up 3 "j" hooks, catch either the base of the blades or go thru the hub exhaust port. Wind up some tension on the prop with the puller bolt against the prop shaft. Get a blow drier and warm up the hub, give the puller bolt a good whack or two then wind up the bolt some more. Repeat as necessary, be patient it should come off.