rustybeater
Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter- Joined
- Jun 26, 2011
- Messages
- 48
Hello, I have a 1993 johnson 90 hp cross flow motor. Long story short my motor chewed up a piston. I realized that all of the piston bores in the block were worn out of speck so, I sent it off to the machine shop and had all of the cylinders bored and ordered all new pistons. Once I got the block back from a machine shop I realized that the water jacket right below cylinder 4 had a crack in it. I know the right thing to do would be to get another block but I already had about $400 wrapped up in cost from the machine shop. (I wish he would have realized it while he had it). I decided I would try not to loose out on the money that I already spent and took the block to a welding shop where I had someone tig weld the block for me. I thought that would be the best fix. I went ahead and rebuilt the motor and she starts right up and sounds good. Then I realized that I am leaking water really bad from the area where the crack is. When I pulled the head off I realized that when they welded the crack they ground the metal down and it does not sit flush. I really dont know what to do. I am thinking about trying to put some RTV just on the water jacket to see if that can seal it. I really dont want to loose out on all of the money that I spent in this rebuild.