Truncate

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 862656 Anit-Dieseling Kit - Who has installed one?

How does a Mercury p/n 862656 Anti-Dieseling Kit work specifically? Can anybody share the engine/carburetor model applicability here? If you haven't installed this kit and/or haven't worked with this setup, your conjecture is pointless. And don't ask why I am interested in this kit as a way to attempt to sound like you know what you're talking about. If you don't know, don't post. easypeasy.

Love the attitude :rolleyes:

Bondo

Staff member

Originally Posted by Reds Green View Post
How does a Mercury p/n 862656 Anti-Dieseling Kit work specifically? Can anybody share the engine/carburetor model applicability here? If you haven't installed this kit and/or haven't worked with this setup, your conjecture is pointless. And don't ask why I am interested in this kit as a way to attempt to sound like you know what you're talking about. If you don't know, don't post. easypeasy.

Love the attitude :rolleyes:

Ayuh,.... Darn,.... I'm unqualified,...

well i would like to find out also as i just ordered one of these kits.

thumpar

Admiral

Why not just fix the cause of the dieseling?

i hesitate to comment being a boating noob, and i'm sure bondo can answer thoroughly, but this is what i've found so far. take with a grain of salt, since i'm a new owner of a boat:

dieseling seems to be a very common problem on carbed 4.3 liter motors. lots of ideas are out there how to stop the dieseling, including lowering the idle, timing, running better fuel, removing carbon deposits, cooling the motor before turning it off, etc.

the anti dieseling kit is supposed to be sure fire though. it closes the carb butterflies when the ignition is turned off, and, viola, no more dieseling. many autos in the 70's and 80's had idle solenoids to prevent dieseling, the same as what the kit will provide for the boat.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Try reading the directions ?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ah ha.... One I CAN answer with previous experience... :D :D

I had a customer who installed a 4.3 Carb, 1997 if I remember correctly. The engine had exactly this problem, dieseling on shutdown. Together with the Merc service rep at the time we went through EVERYTHING to find out why. We backed the timing off, we advanced the timing, we had the heads off I don't know how many times, we dropped the idle speed back as far as we could without stalling it... Nothing worked. The rep took the problem all the way back to the factory (they claimed they'd not heard of the problem before), and about 3 months later we received the first 'anti-dieseling kit' in Australia.

Result: It's a load of ****e. We installed it as per the instruction sheet that came with it, and it changed nothing!

The end result was to advise the customer to let the engine idle (cool off) for a few minutes before shutdown... (or replace it with an injected engine)

Chris...........

BTW. Most dieseling problems come up from ski boats. For some crazy reason some people insist on shutting the engine off to pick up people from the water... Why??? If it was an inboard without a gearbox/ski clutch I would completely understand... but it's not. For pete-sake, it's a stern-drive, with gears, and a neutral... Just put the control in neutral and the prop stops turning... :facepalm:

Last edited:

ponchoman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hear ya, but I guess no mistake can be made if its off. I get an eerie feeling when I swim up to a running boat, even when I'm told its in neutral.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I hear ya, but I guess no mistake can be made if its off. I get an eerie feeling when I swim up to a running boat, even when I'm told its in neutral.

If you can swim up to the boat.... It's in neutral.... ;)

As a scuba diver I've been picked up many times with the engine run.... Heck, you dive in the Philippines and that's the ONLY way they'll pick you up. And there is no gearboxes on those bunka boats. You grab the boarding ladder as the boat idles passed you. They can't take them out of gear! Ya just grab the ladder and start climbing, and make it quick, 'cause their on to the next person behind you in only a few seconds....

Last edited:

Ah ha.... One I CAN answer with previous experience... :D :D

I had a customer who installed a 4.3 Carb, 1997 if I remember correctly. The engine had exactly this problem, dieseling on shutdown. Together with the Merc service rep at the time we went through EVERYTHING to find out why. We backed the timing off, we advanced the timing, we had the heads off I don't know how many times, we dropped the idle speed back as far as we could without stalling it... Nothing worked. The rep took the problem all the way back to the factory (they claimed they'd not heard of the problem before), and about 3 months later we received the first 'anti-dieseling kit' in Australia.

Result: It's a load of ****e. We installed it as per the instruction sheet that came with it, and it changed nothing!

The end result was to advise the customer to let the engine idle (cool off) for a few minutes before shutdown... (or replace it with an injected engine)

Chris...........

BTW. Most dieseling problems come up from ski boats. For some crazy reason some people insist on shutting the engine off to pick up people from the water... Why??? If it was an inboard without a gearbox/ski clutch I would completely understand... but it's not. For pete-sake, it's a stern-drive, with gears, and a neutral... Just put the control in neutral and the prop stops turning... :facepalm:

guess i just wasted my money then. i'll be sure and complain to the seller if it doesn't work as advertised.

the only thing i have to report is it works in the driveway lol. per the instructions however, the starting sequence is a little different. since the solenoid is hooked to the coil, and it only operates when the motor is running, you have to give the carb part throttle to start the motor, and then you can put the throttle in idle position and it idles all day. if you located another 12v key on source other than the positive side of the coil, you could probably start the motor normally.

btw, i paid $272 shipped. it someone is really good at fabrication, they could probably make a kit, but i'm not, so i didn't try it. the bracket and throttle cable extension would require a lot of time and effort to get it right.

i probably won't be able to make a trip to the lake probably till wednesday to try it out as i'm doing a manifold conversion and flapper valve replacement and won't have all the parts till monday.

oldjeep

Admiral

BTW. Most dieseling problems come up from ski boats. For some crazy reason some people insist on shutting the engine off to pick up people from the water... Why???

In a true ski boat - the why is because you nearly gas yourself when climbing back into the boat if the engine is running.

Curious - with all the stuff you tried, what octane fuel were you running. While mine is a 3.0L, it diesels like crazy when run on anything lower than 91 octane - regardless of what the manual said it would run on.

In a true ski boat - the why is because you nearly gas yourself when climbing back into the boat if the engine is running.

Curious - with all the stuff you tried, what octane fuel were you running. While mine is a 3.0L, it diesels like crazy when run on anything lower than 91 octane - regardless of what the manual said it would run on.

not sure who you are asking but i'm using 93 octane. it did eliminate about 80% of the dieseling, but not enough to keep it from ingesting a little water thru a bad flapper valve

Re: Mercruiser 862656 Anti-Dieseling Kit - Who has installed one?

okay well despite the negatives regarding the kit, it operated flawlessly at the lake. no hint of dieseling, no need to cool the motor down before turning the key off or anything else. no problems with the linkage adapter or any other negatives to report. it will not start however without a little throttle applied. once it's running, it's all good.

NHGuy

Captain

Good, you got what you wanted. I'm all for that.