True story with hidden meaning

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
This is a true story from my family that I apply to a lot of every day events.<br />Started out a few years ago. My neice was teaching her little sister a little about cooking. They were cooking a roast in the oven. My neice told her, cut each end off of the roast. Put the roast in the roasting pan with each end peice one on each side of the roast. Put in the proper juice and seasoning, then put it in the oven. My little neice asked my older wiser neice "why do we cut the ends off of teh roast?". Older neice said because that is how mom told me. It lets the juice soak in and makes the roast not so dry. Little neice didn't completely believe this, so they asked my sister their mother. Their mother told them, "that is how my mom showed me many years ago. It allows the juice to soak in and makes it moister and taste better". They still wondered how this could be, so one holiday watching my mom cooking they asked her, why do you cut the ends off of the roast like that and put the end peices on each side of the roast when you cook it? My mother said it is how hewr mother showed her. It makes the roast taste better and lets the juice in so it won't dry out. Sometime later we were all gathered at my uncles for a family dinner. He too cut the ends off of the roast and placed the end peices on eachc side of the roast to cook. My mother asked him "by the way, why do you cut the ends off like that?" He said that is how he always saw his mother do it. It allows the juices to soak in and makes it moist and tender. It also tastes better like that. <br />The next holiday was at my grandmothers house. While watching her prepare a roast for the oven, she cut the ends off and placed them beside the roast in the pan to cook. Everyone watching her chuckled at this knowing it was a topic of conversation for about a year. Finally my mother asked "Mom, why do you cut the ends off of the roast and place each end beside the roast to cook like you do?". Everyone gathered around for this answer hoping to find some great words of wisdom knowing grandma made the best roast beef in the world. <br />Without missing a beat my grandmother stated "the pans too small".<br /><br />Think of this in your daily life. So many things are done today because 40 years ago someones pan was too small.<br />And yes, my family is a little odd at times.

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: True story with hidden meaning

Cute story and message

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

That is a very cute story,DD. Thank you for that. Funny how we don't dare change those family recipes even if they don't make sense sometimes.<br />Bassy

LadyFish

Admiral

:D Sounds like something my Grandmom would have said.

Twidget

Commander

The title says it all. Good story/moral.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great story.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

:D Very true.<br />On-topic, another true story taught to engineering students around the country;<br /><br />N.A.S.A. has had a problem with writing inplements in the wieghtlessness of space. Ordinary pens require gravity to werk. So they spent 13 months and millions developing a "zero-gravity" pen. The pen werks well.<br />On a joint space flight with Russian cosmonuats, they proudly showed-off thier functional pen.<br />The cosmonuats were intrigued, but replied, "We have had the same problem,naturally, but we just use #2 pencils"!<br />Lesson: When faced with a design challenge, allways use the "KISS" method first. That is, keep it simple,stupid.