Trout

barataria

Cadet
I caught some rainbow trout last weekend and after cleaning them, I tossed them on the grill. They were great but I was wondering if there is a better way to prepare them. This was my first experience with rainbows but I plan on catching some more. I am looking for quick and easy!

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: Trout

Nothing at all wrong with the grill!:)
Usually with brookies we gut them, pull out the gills (and cut off the head if anyone is squeamish about it) and fry them in butter with onions, 'shrooms and maybe some garlic. Add some fresh bread and a fruit salad and enjoy!!

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try smoking 'em. Soak some wood chips, put charcoal on one side of the grill, then throw the chips on the coals. Put the trout on the opposite side from the coals for indirect heat. I like maple chips for fish.

If you have a gas grill, I've heard you can still use wood chips, but I don't think it works as well, never tried it. You'd put the soaked chips in some foil, cover it on top but keep both ends open for the smoke to come out. Then put the foil directly over a burner.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I cook on a big green egg... how long does it take to smoke them?

It would depend on how low you get the temp, and I'm not familiar with those big green eggs, but rainbow trout probably wouldn't take too long in any case, maybe an hour at most...? I'd just keep an eye on it till it's done.

I hear those big green eggs are great. How do you like yours?

barataria

Cadet

I have had mine for 6 years and I love it.

I can get the temp pretty low, how low would you say to smoke trout?

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have had mine for 6 years and I love it.

I can get the temp pretty low, how low would you say to smoke trout?

I'm no expert, I would just cook indirect with the vents mostly closed on my weber kettle until the trout was done, and use the chips to give it a smoky flavor. If you want true smoked trout, like if you have a lot and want to preserve it, here's a couple links I found:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/february-2007-how-to-smoke-trout.html#MainArticle

http://bbq.about.com/cs/fish/a/aa030400a.htm

They both say to smoke at 140-150 degrees for an hour or two, then kick it up to around 200 for a bit to finish the job. Good luck!

bskye85

Seaman

Fillet them. Rollem in your fav. kind of fish fry, and toss em in the fryer/hot skillet with veggy oil:D

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

We clean 'em, stuff 'em with corn add some butter, salt, pepper, wrap in aluminum foil and put on the grill. Low heat @ 45 minutes

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

... how long does it take to smoke them?

Depends on how many you roll up, and how many times you have to relight. I personally have never smoked a trout. Cigarettes were hard enough to kick.

InFisherman, guest hosted by Cheech and Chong.:D

[sorry] couldn't help myself :D

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

My buddy tried smokin' dem but the bong kept going out..............

BillyP613

Recruit

i skin and fillet them then dip in egg and curshed crackers and tossem on a skillet...love em!