Troubles with yellowjacket wasp nests

Homerr

Commander
Re: Troubles with yellowjacket wasp nests

Do you know anyone with some armor? (a bee suit)<br />They can dive right in and 'get-r-done'<br /><br />Definately hunt at night. The colder outside... the better, although I've seen yellowjackets out on a brisk morning where a wasp wouldn't.<br /><br />I've had excellent results on yellow-jackets using one of those hanging traps you bait with meat. They fly in, but can't get out. I've kiiled hundreds this way. You might hang a few traps (at night) next to the nest. <br />Too bad the traps don't work on wasps. I have yet to find a trap that works on wasps. :( <br /><br />If all else fails, just put up the white flag and call in a pro!

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br />I'd wear eye protection in case of falling wasp spray. Some might want to wear a protective hat, heavy coat & pants as extra security in case you don't run fast enough.
Do you mean like this? :D <br /><br /><br />
1445242-115-1594_IMG.jpg

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

How good are you with a paintball gun double E?<br /><br />I know some exterminators that use boric acid. The acid eats at their feet and legs. If you can get it poured or sprayed into their opening, they will carry the residue back to the nest.They won't die overnight, but within a week or two, they should be gone.<br /><br />So far the yellers haven't been bad around here, but have gotten stung several times so far. Pesky critters :mad:

eeboater

Commander

How do you get the boric acid into the paintballs? Or am I having a blonde moment?<br /><br />Sean

woodrat

Ensign

God help you if those buggers get INSIDE your helmet!

Homerr

Commander

This should take care of it:<br /><br />
nuke.blast2.jpg
<br /><br /><br />H.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ya must be having a blonde moment there double E.<br />The paint balls would be to destroy the hornets nest. The boric acid is for the ones within reach.<br /><br />When I worked at a golf course, we used golf balls to bust up their nest. Be prepared to run if you do it while its warm!

Ron G

Commander

EE wait until winter get a ladder go up there and cut the limb down spray wasp killer inside real good let it dry then paint it with laquer hang it up and you have yourself a trophy.If its up that high they shouldnt bother you now,if they do break out the shoutgun with a turkey choke and have target practice :) :)

eeboater

Commander

LMAO -- i thought so SS... I think I might go Ron's route, wait til its 20 degrees out, go up there and cut the sucker down.<br /><br />Still, even though I KNOW it is going to be dormant, its going to FREAK me out to be within 3 feet of that sucker.<br /><br />My sister-in-law is an elementary school teacher. I might give it to her.<br /><br /><br />Sean

24tesla

Seaman

Should have shoved a road flare in the ground nest. Knocked those suckers out and dug it up. The larvae make great fishing bait. used to get around 20 to 25.00 a nest full around here for it.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Mowed my lawn for the first time in over 2 months, and wouldn't you know-it, they've dug themselves a nest (got 2 bites to prove-it). Worst part, them buggers followed me some 50+ feet to tell me they were mad!<br /><br />Since this nest is in my lawn, I'm gonna try flooding with water and dish soap. That mix has always worked well on other bugs, let's hope it works with these!<br /><br />eeboater's hornet nest - the paint ball idea is on the right track. Spent many a summer on my grandparents farm, and we used to use spray paint to combat those nests. Go at-it early in the morning, and start with the opening. Anything flying-out would get caught in the paint and fall to the ground. Meanwhile, you're sealing the nest, thereby neutralizing the threat.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by eeboater:<br />
Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br />I'd wear eye protection in case of falling wasp spray. Some might want to wear a protective hat, heavy coat & pants as extra security in case you don't run fast enough.
Do you mean like this? :D <br /><br /><br />
1445242-115-1594_IMG.jpg
Yeah, but that would take all of the sport out of it :D