Trouble with bi-focals- update - I failed !!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Anyone else out there have trouble doing certain things with bi-focals?<br /><br />I"ve only had them a day and a half, and realize there is an adjustment period, but since I am bordrline for even needing them, I think I made a mistake by getting them.<br /><br />I got the "no line" version.<br />I can't look at the speedometer without planting my chin in my chest.<br />I can't look out the side view mirrors without completely turning my head and tilting down.<br /><br />I already figure that shooting, bowling, and billiards will be next to impossible. Or any other activity which requires you to look from a distance to close in, quickly.<br /><br />Oh yeah, its tough on us hunt 'n peck typists, too.<br /><br />Anyone else experience this?<br /><br />Should I just get a second pair of single vision glasses for these activities?

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trouble with bi-focals- update - I failed !!

roscoe; I've wore progressive, no line, bi-focals for 15 yrs. The first while was a real adjustment -- just try walking down a hill or walk a river with lots of big rocks. Miss judge the distance or have to stand and move your head until you hit just the right spot on the lens.<br /><br />Didn't take long to adjust and before I knew it I wasn't even thinking of it. I did buy a pair of single vision lens; 2 really, one tinted for driving and one polarized for fishing.<br /><br />Gave up on both. Couldn't see the gages when I looked down without removing the glasses and couldn't see the road without them. Couldn't tie on a fly without taking the glasses off and couldn't see where to cast without them.<br /><br />With the progressive -- no problem; stick with it a while and you'll adjust. Hey; I'm typing and reading at the same time!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It is acknowledged that people have a wide variety to reaction to progressive bifocal. It ranges from instant acceptance to never getting use to them. Many people are purported to be somewhere in between. Hopefully, that is where you are. Stick with them. If you get used to them, they are great.<br /><br />Fortunately, when I first got mine, I put them on and never looked back. They say that a few people do better with conventional bifocals.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

roscoe- I don't wear glasses so have no personal experience with the situation. However, My father has had them for quite a while and must say that he had his battles with them.<br /><br />actually sounds much like ZooMbr's experiences.. without the occasional temper tantrum that sent them flying across the boat or duck blind..<br /><br />he did get a few extra pairs tho .. two (line-in) polarized sun glasses for fishing and driving and a few extra that got fixed due to the 'frustration factor'.<br /><br />He's used to them now but, it was a cryin' shame being in the boat with him when he first got them. (the whole ordeal is coming back to me)<br /><br />give it a little time I guess or go back in and see if the lens is correct for you. I remember my father cussing a blue streak too when he first got his.<br /><br />isn't there an eye doc or someone here thats in this field .. I thought there was?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I believe PAkev ? is an optometrist.<br /><br />I don't have a problem with misjudging the distance where I walk, partly because the magnification isn't that strong, and partly because everything down there is just so blurry that it doesn't look any closer.<br /><br />When I got them yesterday, I got a complete set of glasses, and a set of lenses for my old frames. I drove 50 miles home, and 5 hours later I drove back to have my old lenses put back in the old frames.<br /><br />I don't even think I need them yet, but got talked into them.<br />I only need them starting at closer than 18 inches, so they are absolutely useless for driving. Actually they make it hard to see anything but the overhead bridges.<br />Then they talked me into the progressives.<br /><br />They did say they would make a set of single vision OR with line bifocals, but only one of them, at no charge. :) - Lenscrafters Guarranty :) <br /><br /> I have to give it a fair trial for 2-3 weeks, then make a decision. <br /><br />I think I will need the single visions, as I really hate having to turn my head and take my eyes off the road to glance at the speedo, mirrors, or ... dare I say it .... the radio. <br /><br />Thanks for your input and wish me luck.

FLATHEAD

Captain

I do very well with the conventional line bi-focal. Did not like the progressive ones at all. The only time I have trouble with them is when I eat dinner. Everything on the plate looks blurry, sometimes thats a good thing :p

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've been wearing glasses for the last 42 years. My last and present ones have the progressive lenses. I had to take them back because I had severe problems. Then they found that they gave me a wrong prescription on one of my eyes.<br /><br />They can adjust the bifocals on your line of sight for where you need them. Make sure they get them right. They do sometimes flub up. Good luck and hope you see where yer goin...... :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I got mine last spring and hate them. makes jumping from the dock to the boat a bit interesting on occasion. but I cant see much better with single vision so I am stuck with these. it always looks like I am looking out of a fishbowl. especially if I dont turn my head and focus on what I am looking at. I still take them off for carb work and reading. but I am growing accustomed to them. headlights at night on oncoming traffic is another story :) <br /><br /> good luck with them.

one more cast

Captain

My neighbor was just talking about this two days ago. She said she hated them at first but her doctor told her to give it at least a week before giving up on them. Now she likes them.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

roscoe, I have been wearing bifocals for many years and tried the progressive and could not get used to them.. Have stayed with the conventional straight line and was very careful with the placement of the bi-focal part of the glasses (as stated by SS MAYFLOAT) then the adjustment time is very short. Good luck with them.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

This has been very interesting. I am on the fence and will have to do something soon. Thanks for the advice and observations.

Twidget

Commander

I have been wearing progressive lenses for about 6 months now. I hate them worse now than the day I got them. I can look straight ahead only to keep things in focus.<br /><br />I am to the point of getting Lasik and some reading glasses.....

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've got the staight line bifocals & can't stand them. I only use them at work or carry them to use as reading glasses.<br />So I wear my regular glasses & in a pinch I can take them off to read the small stuff if I don't have my bifocals with me. <br />Unfurtunately the print gets smaller w/ each passing year.

KaGee

Admiral

Ah Roscoe.... welcome to middle age....your well on the way to becoming an old fart....LOL :D <br /><br />JK!!!!!!<br /><br />It takes about 30-45 days to get used to them. However, I had a problem that my opto found for me... some people cannot focus properly with polycarbonite lens'. We changed to regular plastic lens and everything is ok now. You might want to investigate that if your problem continues.

SCO

Lieutenant

I could not use the nolines, they made me dizzy. Since I'm stuck on close up vision, I wear single lens glasses and look under them when necessary.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Update: I have failed to get used to them, and have discovered a few things.<br /><br />I depend on my periferal vision, alot.<br />My vision is fine with single vision lenses from 17" and beyond.<br />It is easier to move a piece of paper 3", than it is to tell your brain that blurry vision is a good thing.<br />Inspecting moving parts on an assembly line can not be done while wearing "transisions" bifocals.<br />Other things that can't be done succesfully while wearing bifocals: hit desired target with a gun, shoot pool, check your mirrors or speedometer while driving, find the holes in a cribbage board, look over your shoulder, or catch a quick glimse of a girls bum without the girlfriend catching you.<br /><br />So I walked into my friendly Lenscrafters after the short 65 mile drive, and told them I didn't need the bifocals, and that they were causing problems for me.<br /><br />They said, fine sir (making me feel old), we will have two new sets of single vision lenses ready for you in about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Is there anything else we can get for you today? <br />If not, would you like the price difference in cash or store credit?<br /><br />I took the cash, said "thank you, thats why I keep coming back to Lenscrafters, you always get it right."<br /><br />So I am bifocal free for atleast another year!!!<br />Does that make me young again?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well then roscoe, ya' probably made the right choice. I think "frame of mind" has a lot to do with it. I got my first bi-focs when I was 50 something. New I needed them. So being vain, I went for the progressives. When the girl gave me that little reading card and said to read the smallest line, I was just amazed at how good I could see. I read her the really small print...the one that says who made the card.... :) My glasses go on first thing in the morning and never come off untill I craw back into bed. I've been wearing glasses ever since the fourth grade....that was back in.....well...a long time ago. So I really think it's "how you see it" that really counts.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Roesco give the traditional bifocals a try next time. I tried the progressive ones and had the same results as you. It seemed that about half the lens was blurry. I have been wearing the old style bifocals now with a very small portion right at the bottom dedicated to the reading lens. It never bothers me except when I sit at the table to eat, so I just take em off. No problems shooting, driving, or even checking out the eye candy. It sure is nice to be able to tie on a lure and thread a hook without holding it way out in front of me.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with the conventional line type, I work outside and I am allways walking over rough ground. ( construction sites) and the no lines just won't work. I tried them and it made 6" drop offs look like 6' depending on where I held my chin. I found the conventional type with the lens cut about 1/8" lower works the best. Your right Roscoe on lens crafters they will get it right.<br />Ray

KaGee

Admiral

Right on Roscoe about Lenscrafters. A little pricey, but the service makes up for it.