Trouble turning...

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 50hp force on a 16ft grumman and the turning at WOT is terrible it cavitates and just doesn't want to turn any advice?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Trouble turning...

Slow down before you turn . . .

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Really? Thats not what I wanted to hear...

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Going out this weekend Ill let ya know

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ONe of the reasons you are having this problem is that the Force engines (Chrysler) of that HP have a very small gear case. This allows air to get sucked in while making a high (Relitive) speed turn. I don't know of anything that will fix this, other than a different make of outboard with a bigger gear case. I am adding a couple of pictures to illustrate this. The newer 70hp Force pictured has a bigger size lower unit than the 50 does. Then look at the older 70hp. See how much smaller the lower unit is. That doesn't do much for handling.

Hope this helps. Craig

Attachments

• 70hp.jpg
    70hp.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970 - 1973 70hp.jpg
    1970 - 1973 70hp.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Cupped props help to grab water when air wants in. I don't know what the gear case diameter has to do with it, but that's just it, I don't know. My first gut reaction is obviously why?

Also as stated, engine too high on transom, or trim too far out will both increase the ability of air to enter the slipstream and cause ventilation problems.....but that's where the cupped prop came into existence.......high performance boaters that wanted to run their mils partially out of the water minimizing drag and increasing mph while still grabbing water only.

My avatar is a picture of my boat at 50 with a 90 hp. I like to play during my fishing trips and one of the things I do to play is to coast into a turn at about 30-35 and do a hard turn and halfway through the turn, firewall it. With the trim all the way out, when I smack it, it just screams; rpm's go up to 6 or 6.2, obviously sucking some air. When I complete the turn, sometimes I notice that my rpm's are lower, but still a couple hundred above normal, meaning that I am still sucking in some air. With it still at WOT, I tap the trim down a time or two and it locks back in. Once it locks back in, I push the trim back out and continue my straight line travel. But I am running a Ballistic XP SS that I drilled 1/4" vent holes into so that my hole shot would be better and still be able to run my 24P prop. The vent holes are causing the air induction once out of the hole, but that's ok....didn't have the problem till I added the holes.

Adding a few comments for those who may frown on my activities: Boat is BIA certified for 130 hp and 7 folks. I'm running a 90 with 2 folks. I boat on a 1000 acre lake belonging to a local township. You have to have a hurricane hit to have more than a 1' wave on this lake. I boat during the week and seldom are there more than half a dozen trailers at the launch. I boat away from others so as to not interfere with their fishing. We wear our life jackets at all times while on the water. I'm over 70 and in my second childhood. My last truck was a 2 door short bed Dodge Hemi in Candy Apple red and 20" chrome clad wheels and all the trimmings.....hot dog truck....it would do everything you asked of it and the higher the rpm's the more it wanted to go. You are as young as you feel and I haven't felt better in my life.

HTH,
Mark

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Raised the motor up one hole and now it handles alot better than before. Thank you for your help.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's odd; you should have lowered it.

in addition to motor height, try trimming down some, too.

The easiest fix is to slow down, of course.