Trouble Finding the Correct Tilt/Trim Motor Kit for 1994 Force 40hp

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Force 40hp with a bad tilt/trim pump motor. I disassembled the motor and the magnets fell apart, disintegrated might be a better word. Not sure how it was even still working as much as it was.

Started searching for a pump motor on a website that Ive used for years and always got the correct parts. Part was not available through them so I searched the part number (819479A1) online.Found many aftermarket pump & motor kits. So I ordered one only to find it didn't fit. The o-ring on the one I have is round. All the others seem to be somewhat rectangle. I returned the part and searched again only to keep running into the same issue when looking closely at the images that show the o-ring.

There are MANY manufacturers using that part number for their pump motor kits, but they all show a different setup...I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I'm stumped.

Attached image is the parts breakdown. A Google image search shows the wrong part: https://www.google.com/search?q=819...A&bih=597&biw=1112&client=firefox-b-1-d&hl=en

Attachments

• photo329262.jpg
    photo329262.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 2

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Google this: Mercury 813447

Last edited by a moderator:

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you! Unfortunately both of those bring up the same pump motor with the rectangle oring which is the difference between what I have and what I'm finding. I already ordered that model and attempted to install it when I realized the oring seal is very different.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Would the motor fit if the o-ring was the right one?
Change the o-ring from the old pump???

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Unfortunately it won't... It fits into a grove in the housing.
Just an update on this topic in case anyone reads this in the future and has the same problem. The motor listed as the replacement was actually the correct motor. The old o-ring left an impression behind that looked like a groove, but it was not, it was flat. I wiped it off with a rag and it was a total game changer. Yep, I am getting old and that was the entire problem. The new tilt/trim works amazing!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the update. (y)

It may help some of us old geezers and the young geezers too. :)