Trophy History

bigmarc66

Seaman
Anybody know the history of the company. As far as I have heard, Trophy was originally Bayliner. Thats pretty much all i know. I own an 18' center console. The original owner called it a Trophy, yet it had Bayliner stickers. I have no idea, does anybody else.

Thanks, Marcus

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trophy History

What year is it Marc.
I believe but could be wrong,Im thinking trophy was a model of certain bayliners back in the day, they have been seperate boat companies for a while now.
David

bigmarc66

Seaman

its an 87' with a force motor on it just like many bayliners you see during that time.

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trophy started out as a model of boat built by Bayliner. They designed it as a line of fishing boats which were built tougher and better than their regular line. In the year 2000, Trophy was spun off as it's own company under Brunswick. They are their own company but do still share a lot in the purchasing power of Bayliner, etc under Brunswick. They have been working hard to produce a very good quality boat and shake off that Bayliner reputation which today is undeserved for either brand. I've had two Trophys - both since the split. I've had a 2003 Trophy 1802 with a Mercury 125hp Saltwater and my current 2005 Trophy 2052 with a 4.3L 190hp FWC Alpha I Gen II. I don't see any changes in the near future as I'm quite happy with my current setup.

:)

baytro23

Cadet

I've got a 1994 Bayliner/Trophy 2352, I can confirm the built tougher claim. I had my engine (5.7 liter) out last year, the stringers that the engine mounts attach to are huge. They appear to be 4x6's or maybe 8's completely encapsulated. Lots of wood in my model (is that a bad thing?) and not a soft spot around. My only complaint is it's a little sluggish out of the hole, Trophy's are heavy some beaches. I'm rated at 260HP now but will be repowering with a 315HP at some point in the future. Hard to justify now, runs like a top.

scottmi01

Recruit

What an excellent topic for a thread...!
I have heard that there are good and bad years for the bayliner boats..trophys included? about 1977 got rid of wood stringers and was all fiberglass..through to 1982 or so.. then bayliner and many other manufacturers decided to go cheap cheap, and caused great harm to the brands...

Anyone here know any "stringer history" and/or other general quality of construction issues for trophys through the 1980s and 1990s? Are there years to seek vs others when considered older used Trophys?