Trophy 1802 prop question

tomxdana

Seaman
I need a prop for my Trophy 1802 ( year 2002). Mercury 125hp 2 stroke. I bought the boat used last year and don?t know whether or not it had the right prop. There are numbers stamped on it. 2038 with a space then 19. The prop actually measures 11 ? . I went to West Marine and when they looked up the quick silver replacement the book listed 12 ? x 21 or 13 x 19 for my size boat. Are there any Trophy owners out there? If so what do you use? I?m not sure what wot is right now I believe at wot I have more rpms than I want. I never opened it all the way because I didn?t want to exceed the 4500-5200 rpms recommended by the manufacturer. Any suggestions on which prop to use? I use my boat primarily for fishing with 2 to 3 people aboard. At this point gas mileage would be more of a priority than speed.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trophy 1802 prop question

If you have the 19 pitch prop and you're getting too many revs at wide open throttle, you would need to get a prop with more pitch. For each 1" of increased pitch, you would loose roughly 200 revs at wide open throttle.

So, with your boat normally loaded, and in normal seas, try opening it up to maximum specified RPMs and see if you have more throttle left. If you have more throttle left, you would need to increase your pitch.

Sometimes with a fishing boat, this is not a good idea. For example, if you need to slow troll for Salmon or Trout, a prop with increased pitch may make your boat too fast at idle/trolling speed. I had this happen on my prior boat. The V8 engine was too powerful. I propped it up. I found that at my trolling idle, my boat was going 5 mph. I needed to be going 2.5.

Another aspect is the sea conditions. If you have lots of distance to go over smooth flat water, you would benefit from a speed prop. If you're crashing through the slop at moderate speeds, you might find that the lower pitch prop keeps the engine at it's sweet spot during "crashing through the slop speeds".

My dad actually has two props. A low one for torque. He uses this one for towing skiers and heavy loads. A speed prop when he's on the big smooth lake and he knows he'll be going some distance. This may be a good thing for your 1802. You may need one higher pitch prop when you're fishing alone. Add 3 Rhino sized fishing buddies, you may need to prop down and inch or two.

I typically will buy two or three props off ebay for approx $40 each and give them a try. I'll end up keeping the 2 that are really right and sell the ones that didn't work out. You'll be glad for that extra prop if you break a prop at a distant lake.

The only real risk you have is if you have too much pitch on a prop and are running wide open throttle at less that optimal RPMs (lugging the engine). You can damage an engine if it's struggling along at lower RPMs with a heavy load. This is particularly true with big diesel boats. You really need to have the engine turning at the right RPM at WOT.

With regards to fuel economy, the best instrument is the fuel flow meter. Either the smartcraft guages, a Lowrance LM200 or Floscan will give you gallons per hour. For example, on the boat pictured in the avatar, the engine has a definite sweet spot at 4200 rpms. I'm saving 5 gallons per hour. When the engine thermostat failed, the engine was running cold, I lost that sweet spot and burned a lot of extra fuel. I knew all of this due to the fuel flow meter on my dash. Another good thing about the fuel flow meter is keeping accurate track of the amount of fuel burned. On one trip, I new I need to run 45 miles. My tank had exactly 30 gals left. I knew at optimal cruising speed I was getting 1.4 mpg. With this info, I pulled into a marina and put in 20 gals to get me home. All of this was based on the info coming off the fuel flow meter.

Underway.sized.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

tomxdana

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. My current prop is a 11 3/4 x 19. I'm going to a 13 x 19. I'm hoping that will bring my rpms down a little. The stock prop for the boat is a 12 3/4 x 21. I'm afraid of lugging the motor with that one though so I think I'm going to try the 13 x 19.

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have an 2004 1802 125 saltwater from the factory, dealer, here is the number on my prop
4877348a45 21p

tomxdana

Seaman

Thanks all for the reply. I tried the 13 x 19 and it felt like I was still just spinning my wheels. Couldn't even get close to opening it up without going over max rpm's for the motor. I decided to call the dealer to see if he would take it back and he did. I got the 12 3/4 x 21. What a difference. I don't feel like I lost any whole shot and I'm going about 5mph faster at the same rpm. I couldn't quite open it up all the way but I was by myself and about 10 gal less gas than usual. I usually fish with 2 to 3 people so I think with the additional weight I will be right on.

Thanks again,
Tom