Trolling

boat wench

Recruit
Are there props designed to go slower? Sounds crazy but I mostly troll, would rather pull lures instead of water ski's

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Which brand and HP motor, boat type and size to start with ?

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Depends on how slow ya want to go.. yes you can reduce prop pitch but that increase rpm so wll need a tach. Best option is a trolling plate as allows you to vary speed. Have several crappie customers with 150HPs that troll with plate.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Are there props designed to go slower? Sounds crazy but I mostly troll, would rather pull lures instead of water ski's
The answer is yes, you can buy props to go slower. Butttt, not slow enough. A slower prop on a 40 2-stroke will not give you what you want. You need a 6 HP kicker with a "slow" prop. That will allow the engine to run at higher RMP and it won't be bogging down and getting fowled all the time. Been there, done that...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I troll with a 9.9 Kicker, equipped with the lowest pitch prop available, so it runs as high an RPM as possible. It has borderline problematic plugs. We also troll at 1.8-2.2 mph.

In my opinion, running a big 40 HP 2-stroke at slow speeds, no matter how you modify it, will cause unacceptable plug fouling.