Trolling w/ Bow Mount Trolling Motor

fullerton

Cadet
Guys -<br /><br />I just got a Lund 1600 Explorer SS w/ a 60hp 4-stroke and a 55pd Minnkota bow mount trolling motor.<br /><br />Question I have, for precision trolling on a lake, can a bow mount trolling motor work as well as a transom mount trolling motor? In the past all I have always used is a transom mount electric for trolling. Just wondering before I get on the water is the bow mount can meet my expectations, or if I should also get a transom mount as well.

D

DJ

Re: Trolling w/ Bow Mount Trolling Motor

fullerton,<br /><br />IMHO, it works better.<br /><br />Here's a tip. Leave the main engine down and pointed straight ahead. It acts as a rudder and keeps the boat straight, especially in a crosswind.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just cut and pasted this portion of an article I had bookmarked from when I was "shopping". I think you'll be happy.....<br /><br />When deciding whether to attach an electric motor to the bow or the transom, just remember it’s much easier to pull a boat than push it. It’s also simpler to move the bow sideways than it is to move the stern. A bow-mounted electric trolling motor, therefore, gives you much better boat control and positioning. <br /><br /> web page <br /><br />Good Luck with the new rig! ;)

kalan2000

Seaman Apprentice

You should be very happy with your bow-mount. As alrready stated, it's more efficient and provides better directional control. You can move the PD pedal to the stern to allow steering from anywhere on the boat. Do you have the AP feature? It uses more battery, but is great for easy directional control. Another great add-on is the Copilot for about $150. It allows control from a key-fob sized wireless remote.

crab bait

Captain

it all depends on if'n you can sit up front..i.e. pedestal seat.. <br /><br />like the PRO'S... <br /><br />it's better control an leaves hands free for,,for,,for fishin'....

tprice

Seaman Apprentice

We use Minn Kota Autopilots around here for freshwater stripers.<br /><br />We pull planer boards and freelines and with the autopilot you just point it in the direction you want to go and fish like GOD intended men to fish, with you arms crossed and feet propped up.<br /><br />The work great and you have much better boat control with current and wind.<br /><br />Also go with a 24 volt system and you can troll all day long, the 12 volts have to work tooo hard.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks to me that you've got a sweet set up there Fullerton. :) <br /><br />Now, get out there and do some fishing. :D <br />PS. Don't forget the follow up post...

fullerton

Cadet

Guys -<br /><br />Thanks for the feedback. The 55pd Minnkota isn't setup w/ the Autopilot feature, but I bought the co-pilot add-on this weekend. From what you guys have said it should be what I am looking for.<br /><br />Thanks!