Trolling speed

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trolling speed

This will often vary upon the depth you want to achieve and the time of year but I've had most success with walleye around 1.5 mph. off planer boards and electric trolling motor.<br /><br />As far as bass, although I've caught them while trolling for other species, I never really targeted them via trolling. They can be caught but because they like structure it is very difficult to get your bait in front of them without getting snaged on the structure.

gonfishn

Commander

Pretty much what PK said..I have more success at lower Speeds for Walleye..When Targeted the Eyes I use a floater Jig with Wt. About 12" above lureAbout 1 to 1.5..<br /><br />I target mostly for the gator..In ythe Spring when temps are below 60 degrees i use Lures that are the size on the bait fish and troll about 2 to 2.5..After the temps get above 70 I use lumber and troll anywhere from 3 to 5 mph..<br /><br />Try different variations..I keep a log on what speed I am using and type of lure at the time..Muskie can obtain speeds of 20 mph plus so you never can out runem<br /><br /> :D :D

walleyehed

Admiral

If surface water temp is below 70F. speeds around 2-3mph work well with cranks...(walleye).<br />As the water warms above 75F., your gonna have to change your approach by going to more of a subtle presentation such as a crawler/leech/minnow harness, and lower the speeds to the magic 1 to 1.5 mark.