Trolling Rod & Real Help

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would like to know what you guys think is a decent set-up for Freshwater lake trolling for Stripers, Trout, etc.<br /><br />What Brand, length and action rod? What Real ratio?, Line wt./cap? type drag? Brand?<br /><br />Looking to get a nice set-up for Christmas.<br /><br />Between $250 - $500

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling Rod & Real Help

depends, are you just flatlining? using downriggers? ledcore? planers? Can you give more info?

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm using a downrigger. Having problems with the release though, the line either comes out before I get it to depth or it wont come out at all!!!<br /><br />Guess I need a lot of help yet.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

What type of releases are you using. The pinchers types seem to work well. If your using the big jon type with the flip up toggle I know your frustratiojns. This one can certainly be trying to get just right. I know a guy who uses outrigger releases. They seem to work great for him. I'm thinking of giving them a try next season. One suggestion, try a different one on each rigger until you find the type you like.<br />Oh yeah, to get on with what your asking I would go with okuma SD series reels with a 7'6" light/med or med rod. I can give you info on some real bargains if you like. for the price you indicate you could get completely set up.

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

DangerDan;<br />Tahnks for the post. I would appreciate the info. Also, Im using Cannon Releases. Is there a minimum size line I need to use?

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talk to the guys at Fishdogco.com Mark or Dave can take good care of you. They can also solve you release problems.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by BULWARKS:<br /> Would like to know what you guys think is a decent set-up for Freshwater lake trolling for Stripers, Trout, etc.<br /><br />What Brand, length and action rod? What Real ratio?, Line wt./cap? type drag? Brand?<br /><br />Looking to get a nice set-up for Christmas.<br /><br />Between $250 - $500
I've outfitted My boat with These,......<br />
i114572hzoc.jpg
<br />With copies of These mounted on them.....<br />
i120390sq05.jpg
<br /><br />I use them for Flatlining,... Planer boarding,... And as Downrigger rods..........<br /><br />I fish Mostly for Walleyes,.. But have caught about Everything that Swims in Lake Ontario with them........<br />King Salmon,.. Trout,.. Lakers,.. Walleye,.. Catfish,.. You name it.......<br />When they 1st came out I bought the 8 1/2'ers....And had to design My bimini roof around them(they store on the Inside of the roof)......<br />A couple of years ago,.. They came out with the 7 1/2'ers,+ I bought 4 more,..... Next year I'll get 4 more to fill out My rod locker.....<br /><br />I Love them,.....<br /><br />BTW,..........Try putting Less pre-load on your down rigger Releases...........You Don't need the line So Tight that it Sings,.....<br />Less Bow in the Rods,... Less False Releases.........

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love those Okuma reels ,I have four of them now.I dont think I will ever got back to a reel with out line counter.As for downrigger releases you might want to look at the off-shore brand,they are gripped pad releases and very easy to use.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thar ya go.... good setup and a great value!

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, Now that's info!!<br /><br />THANKS to ALL

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yo Bondo I cannot find the rod??<br /><br />Technique Specific - Is that the Company? Do they have a website?

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx Bondo, Got it should be delivered this week!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,............Enjoy'em,..... I Love Mine.......... ;)

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo, if you're still out there, what/how do I use the piece of wire line that came with the rod?

Bondo

Staff member

Feed the "Loop" end Up thru the Guide,+ Out the Tip,..........<br />Attach the Line,......I use a Loop in the line that's Over Twice the length of the Rod,... That way there's No Knot to pull thru the Guide,+ Tip........<br />Pull it thru,+ attach the line to the Reel........

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bondo.<br /><br />I tried that and could not get the thing to come out the end. <br /><br />I'll give it a go again.<br /><br />Thanks for answering teh post.

Bondo

Staff member

If you can't get the Loop through,....<br />Turn it Around,+ feed it Backwards,........<br />Then Either use another wire from another rod,... Or a piece of Fishline,+ Pull your New Line thru with That........

staybent

Cadet

Originally posted by BULWARKS:<br /> Would like to know what you guys think is a decent set-up for Freshwater lake trolling for Stripers, Trout, etc.<br /><br />What Brand, length and action rod? What Real ratio?, Line wt./cap? type drag? Brand?<br /><br />Looking to get a nice set-up for Christmas.<br /><br />Between $250 - $500