trolling plates

Hi everyone, I hope somebody can give me some info on how well trolling plates work. I am thinking of getting one for my boat. It's an 18ft V-bottom with a 90hp merc. It does not troll to bad now, Just want to get it a little slower. 2.5 to 3mph now. Any info will be great. thanks!

D

DJ

Re: trolling plates

SlappyG,<br /><br />This topic came up, not too long ago.<br /><br />Following are the search results.<br /><br />macojoe <br />Captain <br />Member # 17106 <br /><br /> posted January 03, 2003 04:42 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Hi guys I hope evryone had a great New Year. I have a question. What is your thought on using a trolling plate. I do a lot of trolling and need a speed of about 3 mph. I have been thinking of putting a trolling plate on my 175 Yamaha to help me slow down a little. I have not used this motor as of yet, and I don't no its trolling capability's but my last motor was a 150 and I always had to go in and out of gear to matain a slow speed. Thanks for all coments. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 46 | From: Cape Cod | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />digimortal777 <br />Captain <br />Member # 11896 <br /><br /> posted January 03, 2003 05:34 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />trolling isnt very good with a big motor as you will be aonstantly cleaning your plugs from idle fouling<br /><br />if u can afford it buy a small secondhand kicker and put on a jackplate <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 59 | From: ireland | Registered: Jun 2002 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />Jim@KSC <br />Captain <br />Member # 17158 <br /><br /> posted January 03, 2003 05:44 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />What digimortal777 said is quite true, but trolling plates are a less expensive alternative. Going in and out of gear constantly will eventually cost big bucks.<br /><br />I used to kick up the motor. If seas aren't too bad, it slowed me down to the right speed. I would have to watch temps.<br /><br />Trolling plates are relatively inexpensive and useful in your circumstances. If you're like me, there's a good hard run to and from fishing spots that clean up the plugs, but you will need to change them more often.<br /><br />You may also need to look into decarb. Search for it on the link above; there's plenty writtne here.<br /><br />Good fishing!<br /><br />--------------------<br />Thanks<br /><br />jim@KSC<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 77 | From: Cape Canaveral, FL | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />djohns19 <br />Admiral <br />Member # 5471 <br /><br /> posted January 03, 2003 06:47 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />macojoe,<br /><br />I'm not a fan of them on big 2-stroke outboards. Those engines were not designed to run like that.<br /><br />They work ok on four strokes, DFI 2-strokes and I/O's.<br /><br />Those engines can idle for hours without ill effects. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 2837 | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />TideH2o <br />First Mate <br />Member # 17261 <br /><br /> posted January 03, 2003 07:16 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Macojoe hows it going glad to see your getting along on your project. It's Greg I sent the pictures of my Chris Craft that I converted from I?O to outboard you should check your speed when you get it all set-up first because I have no problem getting 2.5 mph on my 200 ocean runner at idle in gear. but there are a few things you could try like a trolling anchor looks like a parachute you throw overboard that catches water and adds resistant, or the easiest way change to a lower pitch prop<br />Send me some Pics <br />Greg<br />One-G@cox.net<br /><br />--------------------<br />Have you had your Vitamin Sea today<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 7 | From: Norfolk | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />macojoe <br />Captain <br />Member # 17106 <br /><br /> posted January 04, 2003 02:09 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Thanks for all the replys. I guess I will wait till I get it all set up and see how it goes. I would think about a small kicker but I have a gill bracket that has a full swim platform welded to it. And I see no way to attach a bracket. <br />Hi TideH2o Thanks for the pic. I emailed you a couple of time but I guess you did not get them. Your boat looks great. I am comming a long. I have all parts needed to finish the job,just need the weather to finish. My Queation to you is how did you or did you reinforce the transom for trailing. Seems to be a lot of weight to be bouncing around when trailing?<br />I am weighting for the pic to come back now and will post when I get them.<br />Thanks all <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 46 | From: Cape Cod | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />TideH2o <br />First Mate <br />Member # 17261 <br /><br /> posted January 04, 2003 06:51 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I reinforced the inside with 2 / knees and glassed them inside the transom from the top of the bracket to the bottom and glassed it all in I used stainless steel screws to hold the knees to the transom <br />The knees will give you a stiffer transom also keep it from flexing<br />By the way Ive been out at sea for a while no Email <br />Work On a Tug<br />Electrician<br /><br />--------------------<br />Have you had your Vitamin Sea today<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: trolling plates

Thank you guys for the reply. It looks like I will probably get a plate. Thanks again! :)