trolling motor wire gauge...

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Seems that the wires to my 41# thrust Motorguide trolling motor are too small as they get warm upon extended usage. The lenght from the battery to the motor outlet is approx.19'. What gauge copper wire should be installed? Thanks in advance.<br />ps-Is there any advantage to relocating the battery closer?<br /> ;)

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: trolling motor wire gauge...

This is a 12 volt setup...

D

DJ

I would use 6 guage. No less than 8.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, DMessy!<br /><br />Ditto DJohns. <br /><br />Nineteen feet is a loooonnnng run for anything smaller than #6 carrying that much current.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

crab bait

Captain

sure 19 ft. away is a long way away !! if you'd move it closer it sure would help in a major way.. how much closer can you move it ??

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so I got a 16' boat with a bow mount troller and the battery has been located in the rear on the opposite side from where the wire has been installed. Yep, about 19'. Alittle poking around revieled that the previous owner had spliced a #10(!) onto what appears to be a #8. That explains why they were heating up. Plan "A" move the battery to the same side the wire is run on and eleminate the splice and aprox 4' of lenght or plan "B",relocate the troll battery to the bow. Thanks again for the advice mates! :D

D

DJ

dmessy,<br /><br />Go for the bow. Try it first-temporary and see how the boat handles the weight up there. If OK, move it up to the front permanently. I would still use 6 guage. You might see a litle bit of difference in performance also.

muskiedaze

Cadet

hi, on the subject of elecric motors....undersize wire will cause voltage drop and therefore an increase in the ampereage draw of the motor. increased amps cause a higher running temperature and shorter motor life - possibly much shorter. another potential trouble spot are those 2 prong rubber receptacles and plugs many boats come with as standard equipment.I've had these suckers melt down twice. I could see them bursting into flame quite easily. A twist lock recpt. and cap rated for 30 amps works much better. BTW, every switch and contactor on my factory reconditioned MINKOTA has burned out at least twice. my last MINKOTA ate a set of steering cables every 3 weeks. My next one will likely be a different brand.

D

DJ

muskiedaze,<br /><br />Good point. I do not like those cheapo rubber plugs either. I would highly recommend that folks invest the $35.00 for the twist lock recepticle and plug. Also, everyone should have a circuit breaker (40 amp) wired in. <br /><br />Steering cables. Have you kept them lubricated? I pull the cover (on the motor and control box) from time to timne and lube them with white lithium grease. Never had any trouble. Of course the "Power Drive" eliminates all of that.

crab bait

Captain

MUSKIE :: what brand are you considering ? what could better than a MINNY ??

muskiedaze

Cadet

crab, i can't say that there's anything out there thats better than a minnie, but I do have a whole pile of junk minkotas in my scrap heap. the bearings on my current transom mount are starting to schreech pretty loud too. don't get me goin on this, crab<br />john

D

DJ

Muskie,<br /><br />Save yourself-PLEASE. Go with another Minn-Kota.<br /><br />They have the "beefiest" lower units. If you do not like the cable units, go with a "Powerdrive".

muskiedaze

Cadet

crab, heres another minkota story. i used to have this 42 lb transom mount that had this hinged mounting set-up that was supposed to be easier to deploy and retract. its on a 16 ft 50 HP tiller. one day I forgot to tip it up and took off. (hey, I'm human). the next thing I know, I'm getting wet. the clamp bracket broke off and this 30 lb. motor is cart-wheeling behind the boat on the wires at 30 MPH, about a foot from my head. my mistake, but should it have been a near fatal one? maybe the shaft should have released or pivoted back or bent or something. another great minkota design that isn't made anymore. the new ones are real finger pinchers if you aren't very carefull . sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings by saying this stuff, but I don't feel that manufacturers are somehow above criticism. just my opinion.<br />john

crab bait

Captain

i agree ! a good bashin' when a good bashin' needed !