trolling motor mount location (jon boat)

Hey everyone, just joined the forum. Bought a 14ft jon boat and I want to put a Trolling Motor at the bow.

Unfortunately, the boat is not stable enough to stand all the way at the bow in order to reach the TM handle.

My question is; can I mount a trolling motor on the side of the boat? Any suggestions? Or, am I up a certain "creek". I would like to upgrade to a foot-controlled TM in the future, but I have to make due for now.

Please see image: it's a 3d render of my boat, it will give you an idea of the layout. Very narrow beam (48" I believe). I created this 3d boat in order to properly plan-out future modifications.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• myBoat.jpg
    myBoat.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: trolling motor mount location (jon boat)

You can hang the trolling motor any where. Just be sure to use a piece 2x for the clamps.:)

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or use a handle extension, available at that outdoor store headquartered in Sidney Nebraska.

i017444sn01.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have mounted as you are suggesting, control is not the best but it worked.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have my trolling motor mounted on the transom of my 14' jon, while casting I just think of the stern as the bow.

Works for me :D

hey thanks for all the tips guys! I think i'll mount it on the side for now so I can do a little fishing this weekend, then find one of those extensions!

Again, thanks for all your help!

maloyg

Recruit

I just bought a 1998 11.3 Basstenter, whick I know I am going to love.
I have a question if you do not mind. When using a trolling mottor on the front, how can you attach the trolling motor and still open and close the front compartment. The trolling motor hold down screws get in the way of the compartment.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

PLease don't hijack this thread, Maloyg.

Start a new thread with your new question.