Tritoon maybe

marin072

Recruit
Currently I have a pontoon and I'm trying to decide where my money would be best spent.

I want to either put a third toon on my boat OR hydraulic steering. Understanding a third toon helps with stability and hydraulic helps with steering. Currently have push/pull steering but if a third toon would help make the struggles of turning and driving better then I would go with that as I currently can't afford to do both.

Wondering if any body has any suggestions or experiences with either.

Thank you all
Willie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not knowing any details, best answer is "maybe"

Would help to know the following:
Current Pontoon size, log size, etc
Current motor size
Gull details of current issues you mentioned on steering

marin072

Recruit
Sorry makes sense
22ft logs
25in diameter
115hp mercury
Went from 50hp to 115hp
Understand heavier motor so that's part of the more use of muscle but better speed and cutting through swells much improved just wondering if a third toon would help as far as muscle needed
Thanks

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
things to consider:
I have a 24', '06 pontoon with twin 25" tubes. I also added a 115hp motor up from a 60 hp . I gained about 6 mph.
a 3rd toon adds significant weight and drag. There goes your new added hp. Plus, wouldn't a 3rd toon cause more difficult steering at slower speeds?
. I guess hydraulic steering is nice, but I have no problem with my stock merc steering and a twin tube pontoon.
I'd go with the steering. I'd be pretty mad at myself if I stuck a 3rd toon on and found out I now need a bigger motor AND hydraulic steering....

captmello

Captain
I have a 24 footer with a 90hp 2 stroke. I added a third toon and have been happy with the results. I never weighed the third toon but it doesn't weigh that much, maybe 150lbs. my speed stayed the same, no extra drag, perhaps because it raised the front of the boat up 3 inches.
it handles noticeably better, carving turns nicely and stiffened the deck to handle rough water more confidently.
steering the 90 hp has never been an issue, you may just need to service your current setup to see if something is not right. good luck!

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
actual reports are better than internet theories.
Good to know.
what performance increases did you see?