Tritoon conversion HP help

Brianolda

Recruit
Hello all. I'm new to the pontoon world and would like some advice. I currently have a 24' 2006 tracker party barge regency. It was 26" toons on it. It's currently at the shop getting a full length 28" center toon with transom installed. I'm wanting to know what my max hp would be. I don't want to go 50 at but fully loaded I would like to be able to pull a tube and not be wot. The new toon will have extra cross bracing installed as well. Thanks for the help.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is a long, engineering version of the answer - I don't know.

An engine applies several significant forces to the transom (mounting plate). The weight of the engine pushes down. When powering the boat forward, the propeller is both pushing the bottom of the transom forward and simultaneously pulling the top of the transom aft. These forces are transferred through the transom to the center log, and through the center log to the horizontal crossmembers and from there to the deck and the two outer logs. The net effect is that the center log is trying to lift the front of the boat up and push it forward while gravity is trying to push the nose down, and drag from the water is trying to push the outer logs aft.

All this means the maximum horsepower your boat can safely carry is determined by the weakest link in this chain of structural connections. A good engineer with accurate details about the layout and materials used in your boat could calculate a good answer. In lieu of that your best bet is to see what other people with similar setups have done. If they have been running a 200 HP engine for several years without problems, you will likely have a similar experience.

ahicks

Captain
My thought, based on nothing more than intuition, is the 3rd tube could end up just be additional water drag, with a little extra flotation.

My plans for something like that would have included some lifting surfaces to help get this thing up out of the water, and just as likely, a bigger diameter center tube to help it turn.