Trim won't go all the way up

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986 Carver Santa Cruz with a mercruiser 260 and alpha one outdrive.

There are two helms and the issue is the same at both helms.

The trim will go all the way down with the "down" button, nothing happens with the "up" button and it will go up to the highest trim for being in the water with the "up/out" button, but not high enough for trailering.

Considering i have both up and down movement i don't think it's a solenoid. Since it's stopping at the water limit i don't think it's the trim sensors, since that appears to stop it correctly, just won't let it go up for trailering.

Any thoughts on where i should look?

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like the "trailer" switch is bad. It is a separate button, or a 2nd click on the up button, depending on your controls. It bypasses the up/out limit switch to go to full up for trailering.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 1986 Carver Santa Cruz with a mercruiser 260 and alpha one outdrive.

There are two helms and the issue is the same at both helms.

The trim will go all the way down with the "down" button, nothing happens with the "up" button and it will go up to the highest trim for being in the water with the "up/out" button, but not high enough for trailering.

Considering i have both up and down movement i don't think it's a solenoid. Since it's stopping at the water limit i don't think it's the trim sensors, since that appears to stop it correctly, just won't let it go up for trailering.

Any thoughts on where i should look?
You should have OD up/down trim switches and trailer up/down switches. Charge battery!!!!! Jump it at trim's solenoid to point you towards the next place to check. If it will not go up and down completely by jumping solenoid, start looking there. It may be bad pump or bad solenoid. It takes more power to raise OD. Been there!!! Clean trailer up/down connectors inside helm.

alldodge

Staff member
Up and out is the trailer function

The most likely problem is the drive trim limit switch on the starboard side of the gimble ring. The quick fix is jump the blue and purple wire together back near the trim pump

Power Trim 2 Solenoid.jpg

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Up and out is the trailer function

The most likely problem is the drive trim limit switch on the starboard side of the gimble ring. The quick fix is jump the blue and purple wire together back near the trim pump

View attachment 400740
That's what i figured, but the "up" (top button) is the one that does nothing. The "up/out" (middle button) brings it up to highest level for being in the water, but not trailer height.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To trailer the outdrive, push the middle and up button at the same time. That is how it was originally designed.

The fact that the middle button trims the OD means that either the system is wired as it came from the factory and the trim limit switch is working, or someone has modified it, in some fashion.