Trim/Tilt Unit Removal

george3819

Cadet
I have a 1997 115SPL Johnson and I am in the middle of replacing the trim/tilt motor. The problem is I have removed the six bolts (three on each side) and upper tilt pin, and the unit will not come out. Does anyone know how to remove these units?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim/Tilt Unit Removal

Should pretty much come right out as far as I know. Is it moving forward and back or is it still solid in there?Others will know for sure on that model...

george3819

Cadet

I got it free but something is catching and I don't know what. It moves a little up and down. There appears to be metal cast brackets that protects one of the hydraulic lines on the starboard side that is not letting the unit come out.

Walker

Captain

Just to replace the trim motor I don't think you need to do all that. With the motor raised and setting on the manual catch and with the top tilt pin out you should be able to tilt the unit backwards enough to get to all the bolts. Retract the ram to get more freedom.

george3819

Cadet

Walker I looked to see if I would have room to pull the three screws out and the transom is in the way. The TNT is a conventinal type with a 2.4 or 2.9 in motor. In order to change the motor the unit needs to come out.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Not sure, but It looks like on that model there is a lower rod that may need to come out. #34......ROD, Lower mount

convert