Trim-Tilt Relay Question

Every now and again I have to replace the trim tilt relay switch on my 1996 Johnson 112VR. The motor wouldn't trim up today and I opened the cover plate to replace the relay.

Some of the wires had a black, sticky coating on them and I'm wondering if this is normal. I can fix the trim problem with a new relay, but is the wire deterioration another problem that I need to fix?

It doesn't loook like a tough job to change it out. Any thoughts from anyone?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim-Tilt Relay Question

The bottom portion of the wiring plug is normally filled to excess with a black gooey anti corrosive grease to prevent rust, corrosion, whatever. If this is what you're speaking of, do not be concerned about it.

However, the PTT relay switch....... Are you speaking of the actual PTT toggle switch at the controls, possibly another one on the side of the hood pan? Should you need to replace this item on a continual basis, is it in a spot where water has access to it. Those switches normally last a very long time if not almost forever.

No, I am speaking of the relay itself, Johnson PN 0586224. The up/down switches on the throttle and the hood pan are functional.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, I am speaking of the relay itself, Johnson PN 0586224. The up/down switches on the throttle and the hood pan are functional.

That is odd, normally a relay might fail but it wouldn't be what one would call a yearly replacement thing. Relay failure is usually just some oxidation on the contacts and a slight cleaning with 600 wet/dry sandpaper cures that..... if the cap of the relay comes off. Unfortunately the caps I've encountered do not come off.

Well, the new relay will be here tomorrow. I'll clean the contacts, install the relay and report back.

Thanks for your help..