trim tilt cylinder slipper seals

Hookem Dano

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 18, 2003
Messages
42
Ok Boy's heres a dandy, Went to change the O rings in my trim cylinders, they were leaking out the top. While doing this I broke one of the plastic rings that are called the slipper seal. Called this because it slips over the bottom O ring. They look like they should cost about 5 cents, but to my great surprize they want $80.00 has anyone out there had this happen, can you just use a thicker o ring maybe. Im running a 1969 650 merc Thunder bolt. Thanks for any info<br />p.s the reason they cost so much they will only sell them in a kit for $80.00. I bought all the o rings for $4.00
 

gregmas99

Cadet
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
18
Re: trim tilt cylinder slipper seals

Not unusual to have to buy the kit, the slipper seals "plastic" is usually a teflon or a derivative and is precision moulded or machined for the particular application, whereas the o rings are readily available. I used to do a lot of power steering box rebuilds and it was only the really common ones we could aftermarket teflon seals.
 

Hookem Dano

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 18, 2003
Messages
42
Re: trim tilt cylinder slipper seals

What my ? was, I was wondering if I could get away with using a thicker o ring. And not have to go with the slipper seals. Guess I'll have to go with seals. Just hurt's to pay $80.00 for 2 plastic rings. If you want to play, you gotta pay!
 

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
926
Re: trim tilt cylinder slipper seals

Have you tried the local merc dealer, there is a repair kit for the ram $39. Also go to the nearest hydraulic repair shop and check with them.
 

Hookem Dano

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 18, 2003
Messages
42
Re: trim tilt cylinder slipper seals

No that I will do for sure RickRick, I think your the one that sent me a pic of my old Merc Control for my 650 thunderbolt about a year ago.<br />It was a great help, and had a ball with that old boat and motor this summer. Keep up the good work it's great what you guy's do.
 

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
926
Re: trim tilt cylinder slipper seals

The number for the 3/4 inch shaft rams is 64507A1. Dealer says they still available.
 

Hookem Dano

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 18, 2003
Messages
42
Re: trim tilt cylinder slipper seals

Ya mine are 1 inch, all I need are the darn slipper seals, I have all new o rings in the rams,but they want $80.00 bucks for the 2 plastic slipper seals, that they will only sell in a kit. Look like they should be about 10 cents. Thanks for the help anyway I thought maybe I could just get the slipper seals, but fat chance.
 

Hookem Dano

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 18, 2003
Messages
42
Re: trim tilt cylinder slipper seals

Sorry RickRick they are 3/4 Rams
 
Top