Trim tabs 1998 sundowner 245

chris032188

Cadet
Has anyone added trim tabs to this model? I am looking iinto adding an electric set. Was wondering how you went about mounting them.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone added trim tabs to this model? I am looking iinto adding an electric set. Was wondering how you went about mounting them.
Tabs and actuators get mounted (screws and epoxy) on the transom.

The control unit is mounted at the helm. Wire control into distribution panel. Pull wires back to actuators and terminate.

Having said that, not a fan of mounting electric motors in contact with water. It’s not if an actuator will fail, its when.

Much prefer hydraulic over electric tabs. Hydraulic pump, mounted high and dry, rarely if ever fail.

If you do have an on water failure of a hydraulic tab, you simply crack the fitting at the actuator and the tab will retract automatically. Spring loaded up.

Can’t say the same for a failed electric actuator. No way to retract w/o removing the assembly and let flap or tied up with a piece of string or rope….What a PIA

chris032188

Cadet
I was asking about how people have mounted them? near where the outdrive is or out on the back of the boat?

Jnkgage

Recruit
I was asking about how people have mounted them? near where the outdrive is or out on the back of the boat?
Mine are hydraulic but that doesn’t matter your question is where to mount them. The factory set mine on the transom as far out to the edge as possible and when in the upright position just above the bottom of the hull. You don’t want to have them hang up when loading on a trailer.

chris032188

Cadet
Mine are hydraulic but that doesn’t matter your question is where to mount them. The factory set mine on the transom as far out to the edge as possible and when in the upright position just above the bottom of the hull. You don’t want to have them hang up when loading on a trailer.
On where the outdeive is mounted or on the back of the boat ? You have the same boat as me? If you could provide a picture...

And to people responding the reason I'm asking is because on this model the outdeive is recessed into the hull , not directly into swin platformimg_xspqEubGjwIStTj_r.jpg

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
And to people responding the reason I'm asking is because on this model the outdeive is recessed into the hull , not directly into swin platform
Tabs get mounted on the far outside of the hull as shown belowtabs.jpg.
1656013730272.png

chris032188

Cadet
I'm not sure if back there is reinforced like a transom is? Does it have to be ? Because I've seen people mount them like it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-152614.png
    Screenshot_20220623-152614.png
    803.4 KB · Views: 2