Trim tab location

chris111179

Cadet
I think I may have made a mistake when I had the trim tabs on my Four Winns 205 Sundowner installed. With the bunks of the old trailer extending past the end of the boat, the tabs were installed 9 inches away from the center line of the boat. I did see the minimum distance was 8 inches. So it’s just past that. Would it be a possibility to install another set on the outside of the boat (just inside the outside chine?) They are currently installed on the red line in the photo. I was thinking of getting another smaller set on the outsides to try to help the side to side action of the boat. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

alldodge

Staff member
Tabs work best when they are close to the outside edge. Placing them near the props will give little help and can cause the prop to ventilate

Pulse186

Cadet
Have you tested the boat after the tabs were installed? how did it feel?

All boats are different so the location of tabs on one hull may be a terrible location on another. If that location works on your boat then you are good.

Adding another set of tabs is a waste.

chris111179

Cadet
Have you tested the boat after the tabs were installed? how did it feel?

All boats are different so the location of tabs on one hull may be a terrible location on another. If that location works on your boat then you are good.

Adding another set of tabs is a waste.
I have had it out once. They help it get on plane and reduce the planing speed. But they help side to side listing very little. On my previous boat where the tabs were mounted on the outside it held the boat level in almost all conditions. That’s why I was thinking that another smaller set of tabs on the outside would help with the side to side motion. I also normally have much more stern weight (passengers and fuel).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would move the tabs and patch the transom.

Alumarine

Captain
What Scott said.
Would also help to move the boat back on the trailer so the bunks don't interfere with them.
If the balance is off then you could move the axle(s) back as well.

Buzzsaw420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there room to move the trailer winch back so the boat is flush or hanging over a hair so you can put the tabs in the proper spot and fill the old holes?

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
If the tabs are installed properly, the trailing edge of the tab should be about 5/8" above the hull bottom and should not be touching a bunk.

Attachments

• Trim-Tab_placement.pdf
    155.7 KB · Views: 2
  • trimtab_installation.pdf
    711.3 KB · Views: 2

chris111179

Cadet
As suggested I moved the tabs out to 3" inside the outer chine. As recommended by the instructions. I went ahead and used a small amount of fiberglass resin and cloth and got the holes patched up and was also able to patch some old transducer holes. I will report back as to how much of a difference it makes in the chop!