Trim sender unit

michaellowery

Recruit
Need some advice and help. Have a 96 5.0 fl. Volvo penta sx.
trim sender wires broken and i bought a new sender. Hooked it up and it makes the gauge go up and down BUT it goes up all of the way on the gauge when raising the lower unit up but the unit has only moved a little. Same thing on the way down. It won’t move until it hits about half way down then the gauge will move down and basically drop all of the way down way before the unit is all of the way down. Is there something I’m missing? I bought the part from eBay that matched the correct number from marine engine.com because it is way cheaper.
thanks
Mike

alldodge

Staff member
Move it by hand to see if you can get it to work correctly. If it doesn't by hand, then ebay sold you a bad part, or you have a gauge problem

michaellowery

Recruit
Ok so when i turn by hand and watch the gauge, the gauge will go up and down. However a quarter turn makes drastic changes to the gauge. When i put it on the gimbal housing, and raise and lower the unit, it has a drastic change in such a short distance. The unit is not even close to being fully up or down and the gauge has moved to the max up or down. Should i try reversing the wires?

alldodge

Staff member
Sender is defective, or maybe the gauge
If its a 2 wire sender there should be no issue with wiring. Can you rotate it further, like 180 degrees and see if it works better