Trim Reservoir Location

Dilluzionz

Cadet
I recently bought a 1985 FourWinns 190 Horizon. It has an OMC 3.8L V6 185HP inboard. The tilt works fine. The trim, I can hear the motor running in both up and down, but the trim does not work. This is my first I/O. It is my understanding that the engine actually moves for trim selection. I can't find a diagram on the components of the trim system.
Where would I find the trim fluid reservoir? The boat is in the water now. Is it in the engine compartment? What else can I check? Thank you.

kenny nunez

Captain
There is a screw on the side of the pump where it gets filled with power steering fluid. Most likely there is either a rusted hole in one of the hydraulic lines or the seals on one of the rams is leaking and needs to be resealed. Is there oil in the bilge? If one of the lines is leaking it will be easier to have a flexible braided line made to replace it. The fittings are 3/16” inverted flare.
The pump is mounted near the front and usually on the port side.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the 3/16" inverted flare are standard brake line sizes which may help you get a replacement line if that is what is leaking.

Dilluzionz

Cadet
There is no oil in the bilge. I can't seem to find the pump. Guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for. It will have hydraulic lines running from it? Is it mounted on the engine? Thank you for the responses and any help.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the front engine mounts are the hydraulic trim cylinders. they are a fully integrated unit.

the electric motor at the transom shield is the tilt motor

southkogs

Staff member
If you have hydraulic trim - Your two front engine mounts (should be mounted to stringers just in front of your bilge, under the belt/pulleys) will each have a ram coming up to a trim cylinder. There should be a line running from that cylinder to the pump. I think they were typically on the starboard side of the engine (but I don't really know - never had one).

It's possible you don't have trim - some Stringers didn't come with the option. Though I think later models they typically did.

kenny nunez

Captain
Try posting some pictures of what you have. Have someone run the trim and feel around for the source of the sound.

Dilluzionz

Cadet
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. It definitely has trim as well as tilt. Just haven't got the trim to work.
Thank you for the responses.

Dilluzionz

Cadet
These are pictures I took this morning. I see the lines running from the motor mounts. They go to the back of the engine. I'll have to remove that plate that has degree marks on it. I thought that had something to do with the trim, but not sure. I had to take it off to replace the PS oil cooler. The motor in the one pic is the one I believe I hear when I press the up/down trim button on the throttle/shifter.

Attachments

• photo335093.jpg
    photo335093.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • photo335094.jpg
    photo335094.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • photo335095.jpg
    photo335095.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • photo335096.jpg
    photo335096.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • photo335097.jpg
    photo335097.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • photo335098.jpg
    photo335098.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
I believe that is your trim motor. Looks like it.

The piece with the graduated marks is for your gear shift, I'm pretty sure. Not completely familiar with mechanical shift.

Dilluzionz

Cadet
I'm pretty sure that's the trim motor, too. I have no idea how to access the reservoir. Short of removing the whole motor. Any ideas? Is it possible to fill it through one of the lines from the motor mount?

Dilluzionz

Cadet
I found a diagram of parts online. It appears that the black part beneath the motor is the reservoir. I don't see a screw to remove to fill it. Perhaps it's on the motor side, which would be a pain to get to. Am I correct that the part directly below the motor is the reservoir? It does not appear easy to fill. Is it a big deal to take the motor out to fill it?

Attachments

• photo335106.png
    photo335106.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo335107.jpg
    photo335107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

kenny nunez

Captain
The fill screw might be facing the transom. The best to fill it is with a trigger style oil gun and a length of small hose. Since I did this often I rigged up a garden sprayer. You still have to find out where the oil went. Also looks like the field frame is new so hopefully the armature is also.

Dilluzionz

Cadet
The fill screw was on the back facing the transom. I put about a pint of fluid in it, replaced the screw and tried it. Still doesn't work. I'm going to have to wait for the neighbor to get back to the lake so someone can watch for leaks as the other one runs the trim. That'll be this weekend.
Thank you everyone for the help. I'll be back I'm sure. Need to get this trim working.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
looking at the pictures, the trim is only part of your issues

looks like rotten hoses and rotten wood.

fetch

kenny nunez

Captain
Since the pump appears to have been worked on it may be possible that when the motor was replaced the pump shaft is not engaged in the pump impeller gear. There is supposed to be a small ball bearing in the end of the armature shaft that Is held down by the commutator head and keeps the shaft engaged in the Impeller gear. The early Mercruiser pumps had the same set up. The trick to remount the commutator head cover requires a 6” length of coat hanger wire bent into a “V” shape that holds the brushes in their holders which just pulls out after the cover is seated over the armature. I bet the small ball bearing is not on the shaft.

Dilluzionz

Cadet
Well I've been using the boat on the lake so haven't had a lot of time to work on it. Starter went out so I ordered one from Amazon for $67 and replaced that. What a pain that was!

The trim was full of fluid. Disconnected one of the hydraulic lines to see if pump was pumping. Nothing. Took the trim motor out. (Turns out there are 2 different motors, one for trim and one for tilt.) Took it apart. It's gear driven. No impeller. Can't find a marine shop around to rebuild it so I ordered a used one from Ebay for $120. It'll be here Monday. Slightly different but still has 4 hydraulic fittings and 2 wire plug, so hoping it will work.

Not sure why the old pump doesn't work. All that's in it is 4 ball bearings (one has an o ring and won't budge) 2 small gears and a spring. I can't find a diagram of the internal workings so not sure where to even look for a blockage. Not sure about the one bearing seated beneath an o ring. It appears the o ring is holding it in but the bearing does not move at all. Seems if it was supposed to remain locked in place there is no purpose for it?

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding these things? Any insight would be appreciated.

Dilluzionz

Cadet
Bought a used trim motor from Ebay. Turned out to be an exact replacement. It all works now as it should. I just need to figure out how to use it.
Thanks everyone for the help.