Trim pump question

sjm32157

Seaman
Had my 4.3 Alpha I Gen II at the shop for a pressure test about a month ago. When I pressed the trailer switch to raise the unit, the trim relay clicked with no tilt movement. The second time it worked fine and has worked ever since. The mechanic said I may want to replace the trim relays. He also gave me tip if I ever get stuck at the boat launch with a drive that won't raise. I think he said to jumper the red and blue wires to bypass the relays and force the trim pump to raise the lower unit. He said he's gotten more than one call from the ramp from customers. Can anyone comfirm that these are the wires to jump?

Alumarine

Captain
Re: Trim pump question

The red is hot (+12 volts)

The blue is up (sky)

The green is down (grass)

You might try cleaning/sanding the trim connections if it continues to click.

sjm32157

Seaman

Thanks, now that you mentioned it, the mechanic used the exact same analogy. A quick fix jumper wire is a lot easier than being stuck with the boat in the water. I don't think you can manually lift the drive unit. Years ago, I had an older Mercruiser 120 hp (1967) that was tilt only. You could grab it and raise it manually.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Heck, you don't even need a jumper "wire" - a screwdriver across the two terminals will do the trick quick and easy in those situations where you need to get it raised or lowered and it doesn't operate with the switch.