Trim Pump Down Issue

tylerdale101

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, my name is Tyler, I am sixteen years old and this is my first boat project. I have a Cheetah 170v with a 1983 Mercruiser 140 with a MR Drive. Previous owner left the boat forgotten in trailer position, it leak water out of the rear core plug. I pulled the engine replace core plug, bellows, lower shift cable, trim limit and sending units, and impeller. I have put everything back together and the trim cylinders only go down with the down switch pressed and someone standing on the back. Up switch and trailer work properly and quickly. I disconnected hydraulic lines at the pump and ran pump in both directions, up pumps oil, down pumps absolutely no oil at all. I don't know how to identify my pump, it has a round metal oil reservoir with a diameter the same as the pump, it has the duel solenoid set up. What are the possible causes? What pump do I have? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member
What are the possible causes?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Tyler,.... Odds are, there's corrosion at the gland nut bindin' on the trim ram shaft,.....

When ya did the drive work, 'n had the rams disconnected, did the drive fall freely when ya let go of it,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
And the one thats missing has a metal can like a large oil filter. It take regular oil 5-30 or 10 -30 THere is a dipstick that screws
That black knob under the blue motor wire with a flathead screwdriver slot
s-l1000.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Hey BT, which years was this one used on Mercruiser and who manufactured it?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I`ve seen them on boats from the 80`s the can installs the same way as the plastic tank,1 screw in the bottom.Look under Mercury outboards and Lenco trim tabs

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hey BT, which years was this one used on Mercruiser and who manufactured it?

It's an Oildyne pump, the predecessor to the one with the plastic reservoir.

Chris. ...

alldodge

Staff member
Way cool, and sorry for Hijacking your thread slightly Tyler :D will try to make it up to you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the oildyne 108 pump is available with 3 different plastic and 4 different metal reservoirs and motors in 12v, 24v, 115VAC and 230 VAC

Tyler, hate to tell you, core plugs dont normally leak, and if it was pushed out, most likely the block was not properly winterized. check for a crack in the side of the motor just below the deck (head mating surface) under the exhaust manifold.

tylerdale101

Seaman Apprentice
And the one thats missing has a metal can like a large oil filter. It take regular oil 5-30 or 10 -30 THere is a dipstick that screws
That black knob under the blue motor wire with a flathead screwdriver slot
s-l1000.jpg

Yes this is the pump I have.

tylerdale101

Seaman Apprentice
the oildyne 108 pump is available with 3 different plastic and 4 different metal reservoirs and motors in 12v, 24v, 115VAC and 230 VAC

Tyler, hate to tell you, core plugs dont normally leak, and if it was pushed out, most likely the block was not properly winterized. check for a crack in the side of the motor just below the deck (head mating surface) under the exhaust manifold.

When I bought the boat one side plug had already been replaced.... the rear plug was pushed out and water flooded out.. i checked near manifold for crack and lucky I didn't see a crack(the might be one and I just didn't see it) there was no water in the oil when I pulled it... but that might just be because all the water came out the plug...

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: Tyler

Hopefully you will get the trim pump sorted out. I'm thinking it is one of the valves within the pump as Bondo indicated. I'd be more concerned about the core plugs. Wondering if you have run the engine and if you are getting any water in the oil?

tylerdale101

Seaman Apprentice
:welcome: Tyler

Hopefully you will get the trim pump sorted out. I'm thinking it is one of the valves within the pump as Bondo indicated. I'd be more concerned about the core plugs. Wondering if you have run the engine and if you are getting any water in the oil?

I haven't started it up a after I replaced the freeze plug, hopefully I will today! Fingers crossed that there won't be any water in the oil How does one go about fixing the valves? Rebuild?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Tyler, have someone stand on the outdrive while you push the down button. If it goes down, you may have to rebuild the rams as oil is leaking internally. Also, disconnect the rams from the outdrive and operate the switch. In my experience, it is rare that both rams malfunction in the exact same way at the exact same time. If one functions and one does not, or they function at different speeds, you have isolated your problem. If they both do not function, there are valves in the pump itself that need to be worked on or replaced.

kenny nunez

Captain
The pump delivers 3000 psi on the up cycle, & only 800 on the down cycle. The spools inside of the rear of the rams are the problem and as said before the rams need to be re sealed. The seal kit is cheap but sometimes the retaining nuts are frozen and the whole ram tube will unscrew from the end where the hoses are connected. If they come apart as they are supposed to and you have a manual you should be able to re seal them.

tylerdale101

Seaman Apprentice
The pump delivers 3000 psi on the up cycle, & only 800 on the down cycle. The spools inside of the rear of the rams are the problem and as said before the rams need to be re sealed. The seal kit is cheap but sometimes the retaining nuts are frozen and the whole ram tube will unscrew from the end where the hoses are connected. If they come apart as they are supposed to and you have a manual you should be able to re seal them.
As I stated in my initial post I disconnect to lines at the PUMP and oil DIDN'T come out of the down fitting, so the rams are not the issue. I took pump out of boat hit is fairly hard with a rubber mallet and put it back together, it worked!

I then started the boat just to find out that there was indeed a crack in the side of the block... I have spent 800 in parts on this boat already... I think my next steps will be consider selling it or check oil got water and if the oil is good try to fix crack with jb weld