Trim Motor Nightamre Solved Saved $$$$

bostongrun

Cadet
I have a 2007 Glastron GT190 with a Penta Volvo 4.3 i/o. The trim motor failed with only like 130 hrs!!! I thought it would be a no brainer to fix but no dice. The trim motor is on the back of the transom under a plastic coverThe say you have to remove the drive unit to get it out but you really dont. Just crank the streeing wheel starboard and you can get at it using a variety of 1/4 sockets 10mm to be exact. The shock and ave came when I found out that these cheap motors retail for from $850 to $1900!!! You actually have to buy the motor, pump, cover and hydraulic lines as a unit? Go figure.

I took the motor to an excentric old guy who first said it couldn't be rebuilt becasue of a "circuit board" mounted on the brush assembly. It's not really a circuit board per se it's actaully a resistor and capacitor utilized to slow down the motor but have no effect on the functionality of the motor. These components are actually the achiles heel of the motor resulting in premature failure. He simply by passed the components and ran the wires directly to the brushes and it works great!!! It's actaully an upgrade over the failure proned OEM Unit.

One word of caution when reassembling the motor make sure you attach the two allen screws on the front of the unit that serves as a clamp holding the hydraulic lines molded into the cover to the hydraulic pump. It can be a little diffcult getting everything aligned in the tight work space. The outlets of the pump actaully press directly on to the plastic cover and sealed only by two tiny 3/16ths O rings.

I hope this helps someone save $$$$$

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim Motor Nightamre Solved Saved $$$$

"a resistor and capacitor utilized to slow down the motor but have no effect on the functionality of the motor"

I love viable home fixes and money savers like this.
However, electronic components do have their place, and if the RPM of the motor is rated at a certain speed for that particular pump, there is a reason for those components.

Determining the resistor and cap' values is relatively easy from their stamped coding.

I did the same thing for a very expensive piece of equipment that was to be shipped to Belgium to be fixed with an open-ended diagnostic price tag starting at $16,000. However, pulling the codes (with a magnifying glass), and ordering a transistor, a resistor, and a cap, cost me all of $4 from a professional electronics store. All because when they trimmed the wiring to fit, they left a copper strand on the circuit board that eventually shorted the legs of those components together....of course after warranty expired!

But good job, and keep an eye on it to ensure it does not overheat due to excessive RPM, or tear-up of the pump assembly. You may have higher pressure in those lines too, so watch the seals on the rams and lines, and your fluid level.

I have also read many times that a good alternator or motor shop can replace the brushes for minimal fees, and not have to buy the motor/pump for $300 to $500 plus labor....

bostongrun

Cadet

I would be more concerned if it were a motor that has to run for any duration but a trim motor only operates sporadically. The technician who did the rebuild said he had rebuilt hundreds of trim motors and never saw one like this. He speculated that they did it that way to make it more controlable from the perspective of the operator. We'll see, I just put it all together and it works like a charm so far.

I have owned several BMWs and has seen many instances of worthless "overengineering" that might add a tad to functionality but inherent added complexity more than negates any added value. It's king of a European thing; for example why did Volvo decide to put pump on the outside of the transom in a sealed case? To save a little space in the engine area? or was it save manufacturing costs by shorter oil lines? By putting this motor inside a sealed cover it's bound to run a lot hotter than if it were exposed to ambeint air like in the bilge the added heat is what probably led to compenent failure. If it doesn't work I will just have to fork out the cash like I would have had to the in first place. One thing I have learned though is manufactures don't always put as much foresight into products as you would think.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you notice any difference in how fast the drive will trim up and down now, or is the same as originally? Also, do you have any estimate on how long it takes to go from full up to full down or vice versa? I have the same trim pump and there's currently no operating problems that I know of but I'm curious if it should trim faster than it does.

bostongrun

Cadet

No difference at all ? The guy who rebuilt the motor said it was a "worthless bunch or components" that served no purpose except to make the motor more prone to failure? He has a good reputation here in Minneapolis and is well known for rebuilding vintage and rare electric parts. I don't know, I am not an electronics guy but so far so good. What do I have to loose, I saved over $800!!!

bostongrun

Cadet

Took her out today so far so good. No probelms at all. I am considering starting an ebay business rebuilding these things.